Neighboring local channels coming to D*?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by moonman, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1 of 24
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    Also know as Significantly viewed channels, it appears that D* is preparing to
    add them soon, by the looks of this look-up tool. It is noted however, that data
    as a result of a search, is not yet available, altho the drop-down menu is
    interesting..............
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/SvChannels.do :D

2. Aug 8, 2005 #2 of 24
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Intresting...

My best guess is that you will be able to access your B Grade DMA locals (in addition to your A Grade Channels)...

The search came up nothing for me, but it is "programmed" enough to know that my zip code is split between 2 counties... So after I hit search on my Zip code 60477, it asked what county I was in...

Intresting...

How did you find this page? Aka... what is the parent page/menu for it?

3. Aug 8, 2005 #3 of 24
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    Believe it or not, I found the search tool under FAQ Local programming Q&A
    Q: How can I find out if Neighboring Local Channels are available to me?
    A: Use the search tool on our Neighboring Local Channels page.
    The answer includes a "hot-link" to the page.

4. Aug 8, 2005 #4 of 24
    forecheck

forecheck Active Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Roseville, CA
    Good find moonman. I would guess that what channels DirecTv will offer you will be similiar to whatever your local cable company offers you, but maybe they will be able to offer more.

5. Aug 8, 2005 #5 of 24
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    If you notice that page also offers your local TV station to search out what DMA's their
    signal is reaching.......could be bad for us.
    BTW...here's a link to the FCC's list of Significantly viewed local channels....it is a 460 page PDF doc. and requires lot's of patience downloading...find your State
    then County.....looks like I'll be getting 3 more local's.. :)
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-24A1.pdf

6. Aug 8, 2005 #6 of 24
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
  7. Aug 8, 2005 #7 of 24
    forecheck

forecheck Active Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Roseville, CA
    That search just went down for me but I did see the neighbor channels for 39645. I put in some California zips that might have neighbor channels (Tracy, Vacaville) and they didn't show any, so the database may still be updating. That will be a nice lookup when it is done, though.

8. SDK 009

SDK 009 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San Joaquin...
    Well, as of 8/21, nothing has been added here in Tracy,CA.

9. Dirac

Dirac New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Florida
  10. Cabinwood

Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    I downloaded this fcc document and for my county it lists 3 Atlanta stations in addition to my Chattanooga locals -- does that really mean I'm going to get some Atlanta channels too? Please tell me so :eek:

11. FatherTed

FatherTed Not Registered

Sep 13, 2003
    You must have dial-up. It took me less than 15 seconds.

Unfortunately, we're not getting anything other than what's in our own DMA.

12. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    ----------------
    In theory, yes, however remember we are talking D* here...they make up rules
    as they go!! :rolleyes: ...to see how this looks go to the SV look-up,
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/SvChannels.do
    and input (Caps on) WMPN under station call sign.....it shows several county's
    and DMA's.....don't know if your locals will include SV or not..the look-up tool is
    still under construction..... :D

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The FCC's list is appallingly bad, at least for my area (Laurel, MD). AFAICT, I'm in the freaking Grade A contour for the Baltimore channels, yet not a single one is considered "frequently viewed" here by the FCC. I used to get all the Baltimore stations on Comcast, too, though Comcast tried to drop them a while back, after I left. (I'm not sure what came of that; it was a pretty unpopular move.)

DirecTV just says "There are no results for your search at this time."

14. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    What is your zip code? When I input 20707(a default for Laurel) into the zip code
    box, it asks for further info...it then lists 3 counties, Anne Arundel, Howard, or
    Prince Georges, indicating that multiple DMA's are involved(probably Wash. DC)
    Anne Arundel and Howard both seem to have a mix of Balt. and DC stations, while
    Prince Georges seems to have Md. stations only, by the FCC list. D*s data base is
    not populated yet, and is not likley to be for awile yet. Check back later.....

15. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    From Skyreport........
    --------------------------
    DirecTV and EchoStar, in joint comments recently sent to the Federal Communications Commission, asked the agency to rethink its rules on satellite TV services delivering significantly-viewed stations to customers.

Specifically, the company asked the FCC to reconsider what they said is a narrow interpretation of the local service requirement contained in the regulations. They are pushing for an interpretation that will prevent local network affiliate stations from blocking carriage of significantly viewed analog signals.

The FCC's current interpretation of the local service requirement "empowers local network affiliates to condition or withhold analog retransmission consent unless the satellite operator agrees not to import significantly viewed signals. As a result, the local network affiliates are in a position to block carriage of significantly viewed analog signals, thereby depriving DBS subscribers of access to desired stations," the companies said in the joint filing.

DirecTV said it has encountered that situation involving significantly viewed stations during retransmission consent negotiations with local broadcasters.

The commission should adopt rules that permit satellite TV to carry significantly viewed network signals notwithstanding a local network affiliates refusal to grant retransmission consent, the companies said. "Otherwise, as a practical matter, DBS operators are left in the same position they were pre-SHVERA because they will be prevented from importing significantly viewed signals into local markets."

Significantly-viewed channels, in which TV stations from a neighboring market can be delivered along with local TV stations to consumers, is contained in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA)."
    This is the new page on D*s site......
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/SvChannels.jsp

16. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Unfair! I don't yet have any locals and when I do, there aren't any SV stations I could get.
    It's UNFAIR, I say. UNFAIR. :D

17. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Ok, what the heck are neighoring local channels?

I did a lookup on TUlsa and got:

"There are no results for your search at this time."

18. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
  19. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I'm told some people with larger antennas in the outskirts get locals from many of the areas including OKC. I was just curious to what it meant. I want more channels to pick from.

20. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    Please note that the first post on this thread, was done back in Aug.05, and
    still nothing has happened :eek: except for a few stations that have agreed to
    this, nor are they likley to, unless the FCC changes the rules. I live in the
    Mia/Ft. laud DMA for instance, and according to the FCC list, I would be
    eligable for several West Palm Bch. stations as well, despite the WPB stations
    being in a differant DMA...I could just swing my OTA antenna the other way, but it would be nice to receive these other stations via D*, especially since 3 of the
    major nets in the Mia/Ftlaud DMA are not network O&O and thus not available
    to me over D*(no waivers being granted)