Negotiating TiVo rates

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pldoolittle, Feb 11, 2020.

1. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    We recently switched to OTA, and I've been eyeing Amazon Recast, so I called TiVo to see if I could get a better rate. My goal was $99 lifetime or $69/yr annual svc (OTA) rate. That said, I would have settled for $199 lifetime, which made the forward looking cost comparable to Recast.

Based on my call, TiVo support is now in a "Stay or quit, we don't care" mode. In fact, the agent seemed quite eager to process my cancellation, offering to do so several times. After a 20 min hold to "check with a supervisor", they offerred $249 lifetime. So... I asked to speak with the supervisor. Of course I got "a" supervisor and not "the" supervisor. He not only wouldn't make any better offers, he raise the stakes and told me that $249 lifetime was a mistake and is not available. At the end of the call, my options were to keep paying monthly, pay $129/yr, pay $549 for lifetime, or quit.

I'm not sure I follow their logic. Why would I pay $549 for lifetime on 3yr old bolt when I can get a new OTA bolt 1T plus lifetime for $498? And that's ignoring that I can get a new TiVo recast for $229 which has no monthly fee, and supports Disney Plus, Hulu+, or Youtube TV today.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    You wanted a 64% discount for no reason other than you think the price is too expensive and if they didn’t lower it you wouldn’t buy it?

They were right to tell you “No”. I’m surprised they even humored you long enough to talk to a second person.

If you think Recast is a better value for your money, go ahead and buy one.

jrtroo likes this.
  3. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    Sounds like the voice of experience.

4. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Tivo is no better than a cable company, but with hardly any customers. Bunch of wannabees

5. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I think 199 lifetime is over unless you're a multi-year (5+?) subscriber. I wouldn't lifetime a bolt anyway due to the limitations and heat, but I'd buy a second hand roamio and lifetime it in a heartbeat.

6. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    Been a customer since 2000. Have owned at least one of almost every TiVo ever made.

7. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Then you should know how Tivo is. ;)

Don't think they've ever had a running policy where they give a discount to anyone who wants to pay less than the asking price. :)

They've had deals to transfer lifetime to a new box for cheaper And grandfather rates in. And they run various specials from time to time on Tivos with monthly/yearly/lifetime fees.

Sometimes I guess they've given a discount on lifetime to people that paid monthly rates for a long time. But if they basically deducted your monthly payments against lifetime anytime a person called up then why (would) anyone ever buy lifetime up front? Fine line there.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You have the Edge?

Lifetime bonus pricing has ALWAYS been a hit or miss prospect, and many threads have recommended playing csr roulette, though it doesn't always work. $99 has not been seen in years, and $199 has been rare as well.

9. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    How may customers does tivo have ??

10. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    Bolt.

With a new Recast available for $229 with no discounts TiVo has got to rethink their strategy or fail. The TiVo UI is better, but no one in their right mind is going to pay $500 for a box with way less features.

11. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I paid $179 (4-tuner) for my Recast and it ended up being returned and I'm still using the Roamio. Based on my usage I'd pick TiVo (even @ $500) over the Recast for a variety of reasons. Since it's covered in my Migrating to Recast thread I won't bother repeating the details...

gigaquad likes this.
  12. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    SWEET!!! Must be nice to have money and not care about the cost... You need to put that Apple Kool-Aid down.:)

ejdavis69 likes this.
  13. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    I missed that. Link?

Edit: Found it.

Migrating to Amazon Recast from TiVo

14. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I look at (most) things as relative value. For what you "get" I think TiVo is actually cheaper... especially based on the number of usage hours. A few hours per day times x years the difference all but disappears. :)

If they were to come out with a nice software upgrade I would be happy to take another look. Taking for granted I could receive all the channels TiVo does which wasn't the case.

15. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004

No need to get snotty. If it's not worth it to you then go buy the recast. Or pay 14.99, 9.99, or 6.99 a month like so many others do and stay with tivo. You can get second-hand lifetime for about $250, so no need to pay $500.

I'm a Scot, and yes the rumors are true, we pinch those pennies into wire and re-wire our houses with them. Even then, I'd choose the Tivo over the recast for ease of use, ease of repair/upgrade, and freedom to transfer to and from my computer.

Just in those three things I see $250 worth of value alone.

pldoolittle likes this.
  16. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Upgrades... Hmmmm. Think the only upgrade to a TiVo is a hard drive. And I'll bet its easier to change out a hard drive in a Recast. Plus no restrictions on what type of hard drive to use in a Recast.

Transfer... No need to transfer as VOD probably has 90% of the stuff you may want to see in the future (oh sorry... TiVo's can't do VOD.)

For me, my Tivo (with cable tv) is the only choice as my local cable company's DVR is a 2 channel. BUT.... if I was OTA... no way would I pay for a TiVo (and service) when a Recast could pay for itself in less than 2 years over a TiVo. Also no need to buy mini's to watch my stored video's on my Recast.

I do like my Tivo... but price does have an affect on my choices. I'm also not willing to pay more than $500.00 over other options... Sorry... It's just TV.

And so.... Your saying... "If price is no object, go with TiVo." And that is great... for you. Most others will want the best value for the buck. Tossing cash @ Tivo is not the answer for most.

17. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    It always amazes me that people come here to complain about the cost of Tivo service, yet I bet some of those same people have paid $800-$1K for the latest iPhone, iPad, etc. without a thought to how much they are spending on a device most upgrade every 2 years.

cwerdna, ClayKY and gigaquad like this.
  18. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    You're missing the big picture.

- Amazon Recast is $229 plus $0/mo
    - Tivo OTA is $249 plus $7/mo.

- Amazon Firestick is $39/room.
    - TiVo mini is $150/room

- Amazon supports Netflix, Disney+, YouTube TV, Hulu+, Philo, WatchTV, et.al.
    - TiVo supports Netflix.

There is a significant difference in price and features.

19. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Many of TiVo's features are significantly better. That from someone who has recently experienced both.

20. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    Preface: Your review convinced me to skip the Recast and stay with Tivo (thanks again!). That said...

I think that's very subjective. Yes, the UI (even Hydra, which sucks IMO) is much better. BUT, unlike my pre-OTA days, app support is now a key feature. Disney+, YouTube TV, Hulu+, et.al. all require the Firestick.

I truly wish that was not the case, ESPECIALLY now that I'm a cord cutter. For example, Outlander can now be found on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Starz via Amazon, Starz on Youtube Tv, and the Starz app. And all priced different. As such the apps, the unified search, and the one pass functionality is more important than ever. And without that, the UI is *the* only discriminating feature.

Cliff notes version: If TiVo supported YouTube TV or Philo, this thread wouldn't exist. But they don't...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020