Need TV Show suggestions...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by NatasNJ, Dec 27, 2010.

1. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly

Advertisements

I am looking for some new shows to watch. Maybe catch a show I missed back in the day that is worth watching.

To gauge what may appeal to me here is a quick list of shows I like/love.
    Californication
    Dexter
    Sunny In Philadelphia
    Breaking Bad
    Shield
    Sons of Anarchy
    Walking Dead
    Chilrdrens Hospital

Any suggestions?

I tried Battlestar series and just couldn't get into it.

2. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Childrens Hospital...never heard of it....What is it?

I like similar shows.

Have you tried:
    Men of a Certain Age
    The Wire

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    'Deadwood'
    'Six Feet Under' - The actor who plays Dexter is in this series.
    'Rome'
    'True Blood'

4. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Children Hospital is a short skit based show on adult swim. Very funny. Worth googling and watching. Has guys from the State and some other celebs in it.

Watched Wire. (good)
    Didn't care for Deadwood after season 1.
    Six Feet Under was a great show. Watched it all.
    Hated Rome.
    I am up to date with True Blood. (though last season was a tad boring)

Men of a Certain age may be worth a check.

5. Malcontent

Sep 4, 2004

Advertisements

'Nurse Jackie'

Edit:

Some U.K. shows.

'Being Human'
    'Jekyll'
    'Misfits'
    'Luther'
    'Spooks' Aka MI-5
    'Torchwood'
    'The Fixer'

6. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Parenthood
    Rules of Engagement

7. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Can you rank the U.K shows? Like which are ok, which are GREAT?

8. Malcontent

Sep 4, 2004
    I think there all great. 'The Fixer' is ok. May not be to your liking.

Well, 'Being Human' and 'Jekyll' are shows that may appeal to your taste based on your feedback here.

'Being Human' is about a vampire, werewolf and a ghost who live together in modern London. It's drama and supernatural. The acting and dynamics of the characters was great. Some very likable characters. A little humor also.

'Jekyll' is a retelling of Jekyll and Hyde in modern London. Actor James Nesbitt did an amazing job of portraying both Hyde and Jekyll. With slight changes in cloths, makeup and mannerism, he was convincing that he was two different individuals. Each personality start out as being unaware of each other. They agree on rules of conduct that each must follow. One has super strength and speed and is cunning.

'Misfits' is about group of people in their early 20's who while doing community service gain super powers in a freak storm. Unlike other shows they don't put on costumes and fight crime. They do their best to keep it secret and learn to deal with it. Some of the steps they take to keep things secret just creates more trouble for them. They slowly learn they are not the only ones who gained powers. It's drama with some very funny comedy. It gets intense at times.

'Spooks' Aka MI-5 is a drama that deals with Britain's MI-5 security service. Their version of our Home Land Security. They deal with terrorist threats that threaten the U.K. The show is raw and gritty. They are not afraid of killing off characters or portraying Britain in a negative light. They are not afraid of sacrificing innocent civilians for the "greater good". They take some pokes at the U.S. also.

'Torchwood' is a spinoff of Doctor Who. If you like Doctor Who you might like it. It deals with a covert group that deals with aliens and other paranormal events in the U.K. The last season was some of best storytelling I've ever seen.

'Luther' is a British psychological crime drama television series, starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell in The Wire) as the title character Detective Chief Inspector John Luther. A man struggling with his own terrible demons, who might be as dangerous as the depraved murderers he hunts. Luther isn't afraid to break the law to "get the job done".

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    As a sports fan and a guy, I recommend The League. It's a 30 minute comedy about a group of guys in a fantasy football league, but the FF content is usually just situational. The characters and plots are generally very funny. There were just 6 episodes in S1 and 13 in S2, so you could catch up on the whole thing pretty quickly.

I'm about to start watching Boardwalk Empire. I can't recommend it yet (haven't started watching), but all the critics loved it, especially Alan Sepinwall, who is also a big promoter of several of the shows on your list.

10. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Unfortunately, the title of this thread is very wrong. Instead of:

Need TV Show suggestions...

It SHOULD read:

TV NEEDS Show suggestions...

instead!

11. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    The League is awesome. Part of my rotation already.

Boardwalk Empire is a tad slow and lost my interest by seasons end. Only 1 good episode if that. Not my thang. FWIW's.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    The Defenders

13. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Friday Night Lights (if you don't already, which I suspect you do).

The Underbelly - I watched S2 on DTV101. Season 3 is playing this year but I haven't caught it because I forgot about it. It's a drama about gangs and the drug trade in Australia in the 70s-80s. Sex and violence (Oh my!).

Frank

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Terriers - The best show nobody watched this year

Justified

15. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    "Damages" is in the genre you like. great show, especially season 1.

16. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Damages: Been a fan from get go. Hoping to somehow catch Directv only season coming up.

Terriers: Watched it. Decent show.
    Justified: Watch it and Season Pass it. Decent show.

Will look into the Underbelly.
    Friday Night lights is about Texas college football right? Doesn't seem up my alley. :)

17. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I couldn't care less about Texas (highschool) football but it's a great show. It's more about the coaches, teachers, students and atmosphere surrounding a small Texas HS town infatuated with the football team. (but better than I just described). And not much football footage. FWIW, based on your list our tastes are quite similar.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed. FNL is one of the best shows of the last five years. I'm a big sports fan, but I actually think the football parts of the show are its weak link. It's the reality of the interpersonal relationships that makes the show so great. The fact that there's some football involved is really minor and shouldn't cause anyone not to watch.

19. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Got it. Will consider checking it out.

20. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Did you watch Treme?