Need to Upgrade to Plus and Mobile Apps

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by coreybryant, Apr 14, 2011.

1. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Currently we have a TiVo server and it has a lot of programs. We need more space and I have space on a World Edition HD (that is connected via Ethernet). When I went online and spoke to their support, they said I could copy the programs from the computer to the HD and then copy them back when I needed access to them. This did not sound right but I thought I would ask.

Also, we have a Dell Venue Pro (Windows Mobile 7), Dell Streak 7 (Android 2.2.2), iPhone, and iPad. Will upgrading to the plus allow us to use these? Support said yes, but I have concerns.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You do not need DT Plus. If the HD is available 24/7 on your network as well as a PC with Desktop, just make a shortcut to the HD folder containing videos in 'My TiVo Recordings' folder.

3. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks - it is a "Public Folder" but wants a password. I chose to save the username / password (Windows XP SP3). If I choose to have the programs saved to the location, will I still have access to the old location?

4. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    I had to choose a "local" hard drive for now - the other option was not available.
    [​IMG]

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You're using the free version of TiVo Desktop, currently, correct?

When you say Tivo server, do you mean a computer pretty much dedicated to running TiVo Desktop?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use PyTivo, which when setup properly can have various locations listed as shares in Pytivo.

When I had TD/P installed, my Tivo only had *1* folder listed. Now, with PyTivo, I currently have *4* different folders to various partitions. It also eliminated the shortcuts needed.

7. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yes and yes.

It has three drives on it. One drive I have a backup of my files (with 47G free). The drive with the OS has 37G free. The drive that has the TiVo has 4K free (yes, you read that right).

BTW, it seems that the free version of the Desktop connected to the World Edition drive automatically. However, since the shows are on the other drive, I guess I need to switch that parameter.

Thanks, I'll try PyTiVo as well to see if that will help connect to the other drive.

Just a quick glance at this one - it looks like it is a new program that works separately from TiVo Desktop?

And curious, can this be used in conjunction with the Desktop?

I probably should have done two threads but was afraid it might be considered double posting - so I don't want to forget about the second part of the question for Windows Mobile 7 / Android 2.2.2. Thanks!

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe it would replace TD, as you can do more with PyTivo than what TD can do. You can download (pull) shows off the Tivo, upload (push) from the PC, or pull from the Tivo. A plus is that its not such a memory hog as TD is. You would still need TD partially installed to be able to play .TiVo files on that PC, or simply convert to .mpg with Tivodecode.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Apparently TiVo Desktop will work with any drive attached to the computer on which it's running, including externals (I guess it needs to see a DOS-style drive letter), but not with stuff like ethernet-able NAS drives accessed by that computer through your router.

However, you can move files in and out of the "My TiVo Recordings" folder as necessary, and you can make sub-folders in that folder with which to sort things out, and your TiVo can see those sub-folders. As an experiment I created a 6 layer deep supbfolder in my MTR folder, and I can go into "Now Playing" on the Tivo and drill down to that folder and access shows there.

My suggestion for using Tivo Desktop is to get the biggest harddrive you can and make as much of it one big NT partition as you can (NT to accomodate files over 4GB), and then tell TD to put the MTR folder, and the cache folder, there instead of cluttering the C drive.

Then, as mentioned, you can move files in and out to and from other storage as needed.

10. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks! The Series2 was brought back to life with a new power supply, so we seem to be OK.

What happens if I manually copy some TiVo shows from the T:\TiVo (where we have them now), and copy them over to the drive connected to the Ethernet? Can I copy them back (provided I terminate the Desktop Program)? I am copying some files over to the Series2 but a backup would be nice until a fan arrives (the cover is not on, and the door is open to the entertainment unit). Plus, it seems to record shows even in standy by.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Stand by does not shut down the Tivo, only the video outputs. If you shut down TD, you can't transfer from that PC to/from Tivo, but if you are going to replace TD with PyTivo, PyTivo can be its replacement.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TiVo Desktop will only deal with one "My Tivo Recordings" folder at a time.

Let's say you have a computer with a "C" drive with your OS and programs on it, a "D" drive with the MTR folder on it, and an "E" drive.

For whatever reason, you tell TDT to use E. You go into File, Preferences, Files, File Location, hit the Change button, and browse to E. If there's already a folder there named "My Tivo Recordings" (say you used to use E instead of D), it will complain about it, if I remember correctly, so you would need to rename that folder first, then tell it to create a new folder, which it will name "My Tivo Recordings", and then you can transfer files from the renamed folder, or the "My Tivo Recordings" folder on the D drive to that new folder. Or you could let TiVo Desktop create the new "My Tivo Recordings" folder, close TDT, including turning off the server service that it runs, delete the new "My Tivo Recordings" folder and re-rename the old folder back to "My Tivo Recordings", and when you re-open TDT it'll see that there's a "My Tivo Recordings" folder on the E drive where you told it to have one, and be happy. And then you can transfer files into that folder.

I gather that what you want to do is free up some space on your T drive temporarily by moving files off of it to another drive. As long as that drive can handle the individual file sizes (a 2 hour movie breaks the 4GB barrier, which is why I recommend NT partitions), then you can move the files (probably best to copy and then delete), and then move them back as needed.