Need to slow down video

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by caddyroger, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 #1 of 12
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I saved a program from music choice on my tivo and down loaded it to my pc. What can be used to slow a video down. A 20 min video takes about 30 sec to play.

2. Apr 4, 2011 #2 of 12
    msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Have you tried doing a QSF with VideoReDo? I see from other posts that you have it.

What are you using to play it?

3. Apr 4, 2011 #3 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    First of all, I thought videos downloaded from Music Choice were copy protected. The videos I've downloaded even had an expiration date.
    You were able to transfer this file freely using conventional methods?

If so, are you transferring it from a Tivo Premiere?
    What method are you using to transfer the file?

4. Apr 4, 2011 #4 of 12
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Yes I used a premiere xl. I used tivo desk top 2.8.2 and Kmttg to download. The file plays fine using media player but using video redo to play it plays fast. It might be copy protected.

5. Apr 4, 2011 #5 of 12
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I tried the QSF it did the same. Using windows media player it plays ok. Using the play on video redo it plays very fast. I was trying to strip the picture from the program.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #6 of 12
    msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
  7. Apr 4, 2011 #7 of 12
    steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You are most likely getting the TS version of the file from the Premiere. VRD currently has problems with these files.
    In Tivo Desktop, go to 'File -> Preferences' and uncheck the box under File Transfer Speed (see attached image) and re-transfer the file.
    This will get you the PS version of the file which will play nice with VRD.

Attached Files:

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 12
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No we don't, at least not that I know of. What problems have you had with TiVo-TS files in VRD?

Dan

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 12
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I believe it the copy protection causing it. I tried Avidemux. It did the same thing. I not a big deal. I can copy it to a usb thumb drive ok. I wait see if it will copy to a Sandisk Sanse mp3 player and plays.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think it's a copy protection problem. TiVos are designed so that if a program is copy protected it can't be transferred to a PC at all. Once you do get a program to a PC the encryption used on the .tivo files is very easy to bypass and there is no additional copy protection beyond that.

It could be a frame rate issue. Try decrypting the file to a standard .mpg file using tivodecode ot DirectShow Dump, then look at the specs in MediaInfo. I had a customer send me a file a while back that had a similar problem. It turned out that the program that created it (not a TiVo) was marking the file as 25fps, but then actually recording the video at 20fps and just manipulating the time stamps to get it to play. This allowed the file to play in some apps that ignored the fps and just rendered frames based on the time stamps. But in VRD it causes all sorts of problems because we depend on the fps being accurate so we can resync the file during output.

Dan

11. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry if I misrepresented, I don't have a Premiere and I haven't really kept up over at the VRD forums.
    I thought I read about some problems with TS files and VRD when the Premiere first came out. But that was a year ago...VRD does a better job fixing bugs promptly (unlike TiVo).
    I apologize if I didn't remember correctly.

However, I stand by my suggestion to re-download the PS version of the file for troubleshooting purposes.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OK. I just thought that maybe you knew of a bug I wasn't aware of.

It is a good idea to redownload as a PS. TiVo uses different muxers inside the Premiere to produce both files, and time stamps are stored in the container, so it's possible the PS version will produce better results.

Dan