Need to replace my hard drive. Any vendor (or guy) other than Weaknees?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Bryan Chalker, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Bryan Chalker

Bryan Chalker New Member

Nov 13, 2020

Advertisements

I am comfortable with the physical replacement of the drive, but I am Mac only. I don't have access to a PC to image-burn and format the drive. Weaknees is really pricey for the drives. Is there an alternative or someone on the forums who might do the formatting and prep?

Thanks

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could probably find a used Premiere on ebay in the $20-$30 range and use that drive in your premiere. You would just need to run clear and delete everything.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I remember some folks on Fleabay who sold the HDD already prepped that a great many people used some years ago who were less expensive than WeaKnees. I understand your looking for an alternative to WeaKnees because even their less expensive service to send you a fully prepped HDD that you install is a really big mark-up to the cost of the HDD itself (considering not much labor involved and they do this prepping stuff all the time in a highly efficient manner), and we now how INexpesive (but very good quality) the HDD's they use are. WeaKnees used to have a service option (do they still offer it?) where you send in YOUR fresh HDD, and they prep it for you and ship it back. I could not find that option the last time I visited their site. However, I ended up getting a drive from WeaKnees for my S4 unit anyway for two reasons:

1. Absolutely pressed for time and really tired with a few health issues and getting on the PC was taking time for very important personal matters and it was a few MONTHS before I realized--yet again--that I was NOT going to get around to preppin a drive, and household members were on me to get it done, so it was WeaKnees to the rescue. I can do the Roamio switchouts in very little time because no need to power up the PC and prep needed up to a 3TB HDD (large enough for me), but even then it took me over a month to get around to it.

2. WeaKnees is reputable and if there is a problem, we know where they are, and they do work to satisfy you, and they do offer a warranty for their products and services. They do return emails and answer phone calls :), and they do GOOD work.

The best of luck no matter what you decide to do.

JandS likes this.
  4. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    At one point I wondered about sending my drive to Weaknees and have them restore an image. It did save money, but I did not do it because they do not guarantee anything...like shipping damage and if they determine that there is something wrong with it. I knew it was OK as it was in the clear and delete bug often talked about in song and story in the Premiere forum! So with the help of Greg, I got an image and fixed it myself. It actually did not take long either!

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Couldn't a VM be used for the purpose?

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And credit to Weaknees for stating their disclosures, and if it were my business, I would not risk the damage (or PRE-damage from the owner of the TiVo/HDD ;)) that could result for poor packing on the part of the owner (or intentionally send a non-working HDD as scam) in regards to sending them an already removed HDD from a TiVo for whatever, as opposed to a fresh HDD to be formatted for an S3 or S4 TiVo, which allows them to test the HDD without risk of losing any your data/recordings on it.

I just wonder if they still have the option to send them the fresh/new HDD for them to format, (allowing them to be assured of the HDD in working order for return), and then ship back. I believe if they send the HDD they have in stock is sent to you and does not function, they do stand behind it by having you return that HDD, and they will send out a new one upon receiving the first HDD, obviously to prevent a scam, but that is from pretty old personal memory.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  7. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I in no way was saying that Weaknees was not trying to protect themselves. People try to beat the system all the time and it is hard to stay in business. In my case I KNEW the HDD was fine and I was able to get everything going by restoring an image.