Need to get TiVo connected on college campus

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by conan86, Aug 18, 2007.

1. conan86

conan86 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I have a Series 2 DT.

I'm in college and live on campus. My university just upgraded its network and it now uses IEEE 802.1x authentication and Active Directory. Using the network requires me to sign in using my assigned user name and password. Also, they don't want any unauthorized devices to connect to the network (like game consoles, TiVo/other DVRs, and routers). They only allow PCs or Macs to connect.

I have a notebook with an Ethernet port (used currently to connect to the network) and wireless 802.11b/g connectivity.

Also, they also recently removed all of the phone jacks.

So, what are my options as far as getting my TiVo connected in some fashion in order to download the guide schedule?

Thanks!

2. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Go Gators! Sorry that I can't help you, but it is odd that DHNet changed the policies and only allowing computers to connect.

It may be possible to setup a peer-to-peer connection and allow the Tivo to connect via your laptop. Your laptop would be wired into the school network, then the Tivo would connect to the laptop wirelessly using the internet on your computer.

3. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Its a pain in the ass but if you use Windows you can setup internet connection sharing on your laptop and install a second network card (pcmcia or usb) with a cross over cable to the Tivo.

Can you connect to the network using wireless? If so then you could use the wired port to connect to the Tivo and not have to spend any money! Also realize the tivo only needs to download data a couple times every 2 weeks (it holds 2 weeks worth of data).

4. conan86

conan86 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Would you know how to get that working? Or point me to some online guide?

First of all, the wireless signal is kind of weak where I am. I'm not in the "main" part of campus, so they only have wireless access in the residence area's lounge/area desk building and I'm basically at the furthest point in the area.

Secondly, do you mean connect the Tivo or connect the notebook? I don't think the Tivo can access the network. The wireless network has the same kind of authentication as the wired network. Basically, I'm not sure if there is a way to directly connect the Tivo to either network.

That I do know. The problem is that the guide data is wrong because I moved (different channels and, as I found out tonight, slightly different programming, as far as network TV is concerned).

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I think you misunderstood. I meant connect your laptop to the campus network over wireless and then connect the Tivo to the laptop using a wire.

If the signal is weak you will either need to buy an external antenna for the laptop or a second wired adapter.

Essentially Im telling you to turn your laptop into a router.
    edit: I found instructions for you http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics