Need to constantly manually add server?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by akaye, Dec 20, 2006.

1. akaye

akaye Member

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

Hello. While I've had HMO for years and digitized my music library a long time ago it never occured to me to actually try the two together. Go figure. Cool feature. One problem:

If I manually add the server, everything works fine...my published music shows up and all is well...untill I leave the music area.
    Everytime I return to the Music menu, it shows only the IP I manually entered and says the server isn't available.

If I delete the server and re-add it, everything works fine again, until I leave that area.

Although the beacon service is running, the Tivo will not automatically detect the PC server.

I guess thats two problems, but I bet they are related.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    AK

2. netphoenix

netphoenix Netphoenix

Apr 30, 2006
    I have a similar issue going on. Tivo reports it as unavailable, so I delete the IP & Re-add... then it's back. I haven't set up the pics/Albums yet. But the server constantly disappears from my "now playing list". This began as soon as I switched from Galleon to the latest Tivo Desktop.

I'd still love to know why they haven't bothered to allow for multiple folders to be used so that I can keep shows stored on the server better organized. :(

-Chris

3. mkasperzak

mkasperzak New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Similar issue. My music all showed up on older Tivo version, but when we upgraded to the new version My husband's music all shows up but not mine. Tivo Server is "on". Can't figure out why our wireless network is fine for one and not the other. Just upgraded to 2.3 so it's not the server version. I've got an old Netgear wireless card, ad we are also using a Tivo wireless adapter. Ideas???

4. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Add me to the list. :(

Once I lose access, even manually adding the server back in doesn't work. I have to restart the computer. Exiting and restarting the TiVo Server software doesn't help. :(

5. akaye

akaye Member

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

Hmm...I restarted the Tivo last night and now the server seems to be persisting.

Worth a try if it's that easy a fix.

6. akaye

akaye Member

Jan 2, 2004
    As of a few weeks ago this problem has recurred. I haven't tried a reboot again, but apparently that wasn't a permanent fix. Anyone find more information?

7. Kurt S

Kurt S New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Beaverton...
    I had the same issue but I think I know why it's happening and how to fix it.

For a while I was using a lower number in the fourth octet of the IP address, IE. 192.168.0.101 on my computer I use as the music server. My theory is that with more and more wireless home networks popping up in the neighborhood, I was receiving a faint signal from a neighbors house with the same IP address. This was enough to confuse TIVO. I bumped up my address to 192.168.0.135 on the computer I use as a music server (figuring probably no one else would use a number that high) and it has been stable for over two months now, whereas before I did this, the music server would disappear after about 30 minutes.

8. akaye

akaye Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Hmm. Interesting. I have serious doubts about your theory of what may have been happening (if another network was intruding at the IP level, you'd likely know it, and you'd have far bigger issues than this).
    As an alternate explaination, did you perhaps change from a DHCP address to a static address?
    Or perhaps just the refresh of the IP address itself solved it (like rebooting did for me) but it may recurr in the future?

At any rate, changing the IP address is worth a try.

9. Kurt S

Kurt S New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Beaverton...
    No, I've always used static IP address's on my computers. I had completely rebooted everything including TIVO, router, all computers on network but it still dropped the connection within 30 minutes.

Actually I was having issues. My wife booted up her laptop one day and we got a message about another computer on the network having the same IP address. After I changed her IP addy to a higher number, I ran some software to see what exactly was on our network and it only showed the the correct items, it didn't show anything with her previous address so I still can't account for the duplicate address message but since I've bumped all our computers, printer and Tivo up to the 130 range, everything has been running smooth.

10. PumiceT

PumiceT Mentally Drunk

Apr 16, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Same issue here. I'm using static IPs on both the TiVo and my server. TiVo can connect to the network to get updates, etc., but pretty regularly loses the TiVo Server running on my network. I don't think this coincides, but I've recently set up OpenDNS on my router. I think these problems started before that, though.

11. jlfreund

jlfreund New Member

Jul 13, 2006
    I have the same problem. My Series 2 (newest software) has no problem getting network access, but always loses my WinXP Tivo Server. Cycling the Tivo or Desktop server software, or re-adding the IP address to my Tivo doesn't help at all.

Sometimes, very rarely, going to "Music & More" on my Tivo causes my server to automatically be rediscovered, but I can't force it to happen.

The only workaround I've found is rebooting the XP machine.

12. ImNotAMib

ImNotAMib New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    I had this problem.
    I had tried three different wireless adapters in my TiVo and the problem stayed.
    I then took a chance and purchased the official TiVo wiress network adapter. It worked like a charm. Now the only time my tivo can not see my PC is when Im playing with the MyTivo folder (It seems to freak out the tivo desktop software, reboot and it is fixed.)
    If you do not have the official TiVo wireless nic, drop the $50 on it and try it. It fixed my problem.

13. mgkrebbs

mgkrebbs New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    I set my DHCP to start at 135 like you said and it fixed my problem (TivoServer intermittent, mostly mittent). Thank you.

14. scottwmlewis

scottwmlewis New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    If you mean organized on the server, you can.

If you mean show up organized on the TiVo box menu, then, yeah I agree. Wish they would show up just like I have them on the server.

15. PumiceT

PumiceT Mentally Drunk

Apr 16, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm using Desktop 2.2, but don't want to move up to a newer version unless it'll solve this issue.