Need to connect using Wireless Hotspot?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wtrskigirl, Jan 6, 2012.

1. wtrskigirl

wtrskigirl New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I just got my new TIVO Premier XL and wireless N adapter. After hours of trying to connect to the internet (totally wireless) using my Spring Hotspot no luck. The original TIVO tech I sppke to said it could be done, but forgot to tell me TIVO wont support that method. I have seasched the community and can't pull up anything on doing everything wireless we are on vacation and have no router~! We are traveling for 2 months, is there a way to do this or should give up and return it? I just returned my Direct TV DVR because I was tired of their high price...I saw one post that said to plug the Cat 5 into the computer to bridge but no go there either!!!
    Any help will be REALLY appreciated!!! Thanks :confused:

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Sometimes you need to give the Tivo a fixed IP address to get it to work. I had that problem with my S3HD. I use wireless bridges but haven't tried using a PC as the bridge except for doing serial PPP on an S1. Does the PC show a connection when you plug in the ethernet from the Tivo? Sometimes the PC ethernet port needs to be set to a fixed IP address instead of using DHCP protocol. If I get a chance tomorrow I can try setting up my laptop as a wireless bridge and relay the steps to you if it works.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you connect the PC ti the wifi and tivo on the ethernet, use internet connection sharing.

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I haven't tried it yet but there are several references on the web to using a laptop to bridge the ethernet and wireless connections. Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/118/64/

One of the ones I read said that the ethernet cable needed to be a crossover cable but the other references didn't mention that. They are bridging to game consoles so maybe one brand needs the crossover and another doesn't.

UPDATE: I went ahead and tried bridging with my Win7 laptop. Went into Network Sharing Center / Change Adapter Settings / select both wired and wireless connections / right click on one of them and select bridging

A new icon should pop up that says "Network Bridge". The ethernet connection from the laptop to the Tivo required a crossover cable.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Always give everything on your network that doesn't travel and need to log on to a different network a fixed IP address.

Might help, can't hurt.

6. WizardMan

WizardMan New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Santa Clara CA
    Were you able to get TiVo to recognize your mobile hotspot? We just eliminated our cable internet and phone line, leaving us with our mobile hotspot access to the internet. Will the TiVo wireless N adapter work if a fixed IP address is assigned? Thanks for your answers/thoughts in advance.