Need to call cable company for swapping cablecard to new Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by btann, Mar 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. btann

btann New Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Anybody know if it's a simple process to switch the cablecard that's in old Tivo to new Tivo? Is it as simple and swapping the cablecard between the Tivos? Or am I going to have to call up the cable company and go through a bunch of hassle?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are many factors, like your channels and the cable company's use of the equipment ID, but it's better to plan on calling. Since it's a known good card there should be little hassle. Obviously you want to try it and see if you get all the channels you pay for.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes, you should have to call and repair it to the new TiVo. Who is your cable company? When we did our move from an S3 to a Roamio Pro it went smoothly calling the Comcast CableCARD line although it took him about 10-15 minutes (he came back on apologizing for the extra time but indicating he had to unpair it first).

How much hassle it will be probably depends on your cable company and the experience of the person you get when you call in.

Scott

4. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I didn't have to call Cox when I swapped my card between Roamios. The card and tuning adapter were paired and I just moved the card from the Roamio with a bad cable tuner to my other Roamio I had brought back from my lake cabin.

5. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm of two minds on this and I imagine it depends on your carrier. But when I replaced one of my Premieres with a new Bolt last year I had to call Charter to get the cableCARD re-authorized.

Unfortunately, the handful of people I talked to were clueless and it was I who actually ended up getting it paired. That was after hours of calls and being sent up the chain without finding anybody who knew what they were doing.

Several years earlier, when I purchased my Premieres, it seemed like people knew more of what they were doing. I had to have a guy come to my house because those were my first cableCARD Tivos. He knew what he was doing but he had to actually get more cableCARDS because one of them wouldn't pair and it took until the next day to fix that.

6. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    My experience with Brighthouse (now Spectrum) moving from a Premiere to a Bolt was a phone call, home visit and waiting until after midnight for it to kick in. I don't think the home visit was necessary but I got some cables and splitters replaced plus a new set top box out of it.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. anthem11

anthem11 New Member

May 15, 2012
    Not sure who your provider is, but I swapped my Comcast card out of my old Premiere into a Roamio, went on their website, logged into my account, and paired the card to the new box there. Easy and no customer service reps to muck it up.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    I got a Motorola M-card with my Charter subscription and initially installed it to a Series 3 before switching it to a TiVo HD a week or two later. It took a few minutes for the card to start working in the HD, but I did not have to call Charter.