Need Stretching Help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NeedTivoHelp, Jan 2, 2006.

1. NeedTivoHelp

NeedTivoHelp New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Hi, I just got a new 42" panasonic plasma tivo with an HD Tivo. I am currently using the Tivo HD for stretching of standard broadcasts but it does not do a very good job. THe local channels are coming wthrough DTV. Since the Panasonic I hear has greater stretching abilities (better quality) than the HD Tivo, can someone tell me if its possible to use the TV's stretching abilities rather than the Tivo's? Thanks!

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    You can see my previous post. I have a Panny plasma. I can only use its stretching functions when the input signal is 480i/p. So, to use the TVs controls you have to change the output of the TiVo to one of those resolutions. It's somewhat of a pain in the neck but not really too bad.

SMK

3. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yep, this is what I have to do, as well. I have a Panny 34" Directview widescreen and the "Just" mode, which keeps the middle of the picture unstretched and only the sides are stretched to fit the screen(makes for a much more natural picture than just stretching everything) only work when the TV is in 480i.

In the HD Directivo's menus, I set up the up arrow to only swap between 1080i and 480i. So, depending on what I'm watching, I just swap back and forth to the right mode. It is annoying tho because sometimes I forget. My previous standard HD receiver(Hughes HTL-HD) would automatically switch the output mode to whatever it was receiving.

Hopefully the new HD PVR's will handle this a bit better.

4. flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    will that work even when connected thru HDMI ?

thanks

5. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, it should. I use the HDMI-to-DVI conversion cable and it works fine.

6. jmarks2001

jmarks2001 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    Once you change the output of the HDTivo, do you have to tell your TV to use the "Just" mode or does it automatically do it once it detects the 480i signal (that you've just changed on the HDTivo)??