Need something like "wild kingdom"???

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Snowman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I'm trying to get the girls to watch things that aren't the same danged cartoons over and over again. Is there anything like the old Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?

Requirements:
    1. As little violence as possible -- meaning "watch this lion kill everything it sees" is not on the agenda.
    2. If the video can make sense without the voice over, even better. The little one loves to talk and make noise and then ask "what happened"?
    3. No killing of the animals. Tranquilizing, catching fish for tag and release, etc is okay, just no "look at all the fish this fishing boat brought in and watch the fishmongers clean them" -- which I actually like to watch. Those guys are skilled, but the 6 year old isn't quite into animals=food yet.

2. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    If you're a member of Netflix, you can rent the original MOWK series from there.

3. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    Did you catch Discovery's "Planet Earth" 10 part series? Absolutely gorgeous in HD!

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Animal Planet is pretty good for just animal stories. You did not say how old your children were but they may enjoy other science features. If they are little kids, I have seen some syndicated stuff on network TV on Sundays that looks nice.

5. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area

Advertisements

'Nature' on PBS.

6. digdug

digdug New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    If you get Discovery Kids channel, there are some great shows there. My six year old loves them. Obviously, all kid oriented. Some are more geared toward my 12 year old, but the six year old likes the slower paced shows they show.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was going to recommend Planet Earth as well. They replay it every once in a while, although they just finished one of the repeat cycles.