Need some help... HD TV with non HD tivo setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mike55btz, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mike55btz

mike55btz New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    I am gonna buy a new tv in about an hr..

samsung 40" LCD with 1080p

My question is can i still use my tivo series 2 dt with that tv... right now i dont have the HD box... it will come in next week ( the one from the cable co)

What can i do in the mean time with my new tv and series 2 dt.... I was going to pickup 2 S-video cables in the mean time so i can use the new tv in SD with the tivo but change it from R-W-Y cables to svideo for better picture..

Do i NEED a new Tivo when i get my HD box ? or can i just use the Series 2 dt with the HD box but record in SD...

Help appreciated as I am going to get the tv soon..

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You can use your Series 2 DT Tivo with pretty much any TV, including an HDTV. Just use the best quality video connection (SVideo). Of course, the TV will only display the Tivo's Standard Definition recordings, so you may want to consider upgrading to a Series 3 HD Tivo in the near future.

As far as using your Series 2 DT Tivo to control your HD Cable Box, that's tougher to answer. It depends on the Cable Box. Check out the "Tivo Compatibility Thread" in the FAQs at the top of this forum.

3. mike55btz

mike55btz New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    well just came home and set it all up.... looks ok.. using s-video connectors for everything and it looks good...

The only thing i got ????
    about now is i saw the HD Tivo at Best Buy and noticed it had two cable card slots... what would those be used for ?

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Cable Cards ;)

5. mike55btz

mike55btz New Member

Aug 6, 2006

:rolleyes:

right... did some reading at tivo.com and i guess when we get those, we dont need the set top box any longer... nice... gonna order the refurbed HD tivo in a few minutes...

damn this is getting expensive...

1900 tv + 150 HDMI cable+ monthly cable card service..

HD tivo 512

6. mike55btz

mike55btz New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    just got my tivo series 3 HD for 512 WOOT!!!!

got a series 2 for sale :)

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Should we assume you ORDERED it, and didn't actually "just GET it"?

I mean, unless you live next door to TiVo and they were open today... :p

8. mike55btz

mike55btz New Member

Aug 6, 2006

:D

yeah... so i had to ORDER it and then called the cable co only to be told the Installer has to INSTALL my cable cards and cant just drop them off... 22.50 for install....

I setup the appt for friday betting the tivo will be here before then... hope it all works out...

also read up on HDMI... seems like monster isnt worth the money... looks like acoustic research will work...

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    As will bluejean's, monoprice.com, etc
    There's really no reason for a $150 HDMI cable in most cases.

Diane

p.s. desperately trying not to start "cable mfrs war 2007"