Need some buying advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by socaltoolguy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been gone for about three years while traveling the U.S. Now we are going to settle down again and will have all new stuff. I need some help on what to buy to go with what we will have for tv's. Our main tv will be a Mitsubishi 55" HD and we will have three other tv's in our home. We sold our Tivo's before we went mobile so now we will need to buy some new equipment. I haven't totally made up my mind yet as to which provider we are going with. It will be either Verizon Fios or Time Warner. They both offer DVR's but I don't like their equipment. So if some of you more learned folks could give me some advice on what to buy and how to set up my system I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Ray

2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    FiOS picture quality is top notch and they offer a lot of HD content. Different providers offer slightly different HD choices but FiOS offers a lot and having had Comcast, Dish, DTV, RCN and a Big dish (never had TW) I can honestly say FiOS's PQ and channel offerings are a good choice. In addition FiOS has a new DVR, the 7232-2 by Moto with a 500 gig HDD. Its a nice box. VZ is suppose to have a new interface for it out sometime..one day soon..maybe.. that should make it even nicer. The update will also allow for the addition of an external HDD. I also have a TiVo HD and a Premiere. Both boxes work great for me and give me no crap at all. The PQ is equal to that of the FiOS box using a multi stream cable card from VZ. I have and always will love the TiVo interface and features. The VZ box is rather bland as it is, after the revamp and update, who knows! It does the job though.
    As always YMMV, good luck with what ever you decide

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Is it Verizon or Frontier FIOS? I believe the previous comments would apply to Verizon FIOS but there have been a lot of complaints about Frontier FIOS, especially about huge rate increases and poor customer service. BTW Frontier FIOS systems were sold to Frontier by Verizon, so even if you currently have Verizon....????

4. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    I guess what I was wondering is this. The DVR from Verizon will record in one room and send the program to up to four other rooms. I don't know that the Tivo has this function but if not is there any way that it can be accomplished? I will probably at some point buy at least one other Tivo so we can record in our bedroom. Thanks for any help,

Ray

5. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008

Advertisements

You can move non-protected content from one Tivo to another. In most markets FIOS only protects the premium channels (HBO, MAX, SHO and the like). In Most markets TW protects all non-over the air channels (ESPN, USA, TBS and the like).

6. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    So what exactly are you saying? Can you explain what this means and how do I go about doing it? At this point I haven't purchased anything so I will need to buy equipment and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. We haven't had the Fios installed yet so I am trying to educate myself prior to the installer coming. It would be nice to be able to talk to them and have the right equipment at hand when they arrive. We have to have the outlets installed prior also. The new home is not pre-wired. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again for your replies.

Ray

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What equipment does the Verizon system require at the (up to) four rooms where it "sends" the program? For TiVo to do this (MRV -- "Multi-room Viewing"), requires three things:
    1. The content is not copy protected by the cable provider.
    2. There is a suitable TiVo in both sending and receiving rooms.
    3. The TiVo's are connected via a home network.

TiVo actually sends a copy of the program to the destination TiVo over the network. It doesn't "move" or "stream". When the MRV process completes, a copy exists on both source and destination TiVo's. You can start watching on the destination TiVo before the copy completes, however. Because two copies exist after MRV, copy protection prevents it.

Assuming you're willing to provide network-connected TiVo's in every room, I would recommend some serious research to determine just what the copy protection situation is on your particular FIOS system. Unfortunately just asking them is probably NOT a good way to do this. Rather, post your exact FIOS system (e.g., location) and hopefully other posters here on the same system will tell you.

8. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Thanks for a very informative post. I now have an understanding of how it works. We will be located in Huntington Beach, Cal. The system is from Verizon Fios. So, if I have it right, I can start with a Tivo Premier + and add the lesser Tivo Premiers to the rooms that I want coverage in. I have or will have a network setup for our computers so I assume (I hate that word) that that will work for the Tivo's to move programming between machines. We won't be having any premium programs. Just regular broadcast and cable channels. I do have to purchase the uppermost tier though in order to get the Outdoor Channel. We are TV freaks so we watch a ton of different programs.
    Thanks again and if you have anything to add please do.

Ray

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I wouldn't assume no copy-protection just because you won't be getting premium channels. Maybe someone in your area will post the info, or there is a Copy Protection Tracking Thread where you can see if your system has already been recorded.

A network that works for your computers should be fine for TiVo's. BTW, in case you don't already know, all your TiVo's have to be subscribed, even if all you do with some of them is MRV programs from others. Also each Tivo needs either an Internet connection or phone connection to update its guide data and software (and subscribed status). There are many subscription/purchase options. Just a basic monthly subscription is $12.95 for the first TiVo and something less for the additonal ones. There are lifetime subscriptions too -- for the lifetime of the box, not the person.