Need some advice please !

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bigmoss, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Bigmoss

Bigmoss New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I am running an old round dish with a dual LNB and 4 way splitter still

I am building a new house now and have been running HD PVRs and HD receivers and not able to take advantage of any of the HD channels being I am on an old round dish. I assume I need a new Slim Line DTV dish for HD and regular channels right ? and what else would I need to output to about 6 to 8 receivers ?

Thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, you'll need a Slimeline dish to receive any HD channels. We'll need to know where you're located to tell you if you need a 3-LNB Slimline or 5-LNB Slimline dish. And what model Receivers and DVRs do you have? You might want to get a Single Wire Multiswitch dish for ease of installation.

3. Bigmoss

Bigmoss New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I am up in Canada I have a house in the US so I use my address there so I know locals are out.

The receivers I am going to be using are a DTV Plus Receiver, DVR R10, DTV HD DVR ( just ordered )

I would like to hook up dual coax on each so I can record and watch at the same time.

Not sure what a Single Wire Multiswitch dish is can you explain or do you have a link to one so I can have a look ?

Or is this what you mean ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Directv-6x8-...978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a61f3d3a

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    An R10 cannot use a Single Wire Multiswitch. No, the item you linked to is not one of those. But you can use that multiswitch with a three or five satellite dish that can see the new satellites.

However, it is unclear to me what you have ordered. An R10 is neither HD nor a "DirecTV Plus" receiver - it is a very old TiVo-based DirecTV SD DVR.

5. Bigmoss

Bigmoss New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Yes the R10 I have had for a few years now, the DTV Plus I bought last year and the HD PVR I just ordered this week.

I just want to make sure I have all the right cabling pulled while the walls are open, how many coax runs do I need from the dish to the central area ? Does the slim line come with a switch ?

What model switch do I need to run from the dish in order to run 3 the receivers mentioned with both tuner each ?

Thanks

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Install lots and lots of conduit. Ask your electrician about "smurf pipe" (Electrical Non-metallic Tubing, or ENT).

There's no such thing as guaranteed future-proofing and frustration avoidance, of course, but that'll go a l-o-o-ong way towards it.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You need to give us exact model numbers for the equipment that you currently have. Look for the label on the rear panel or behind the front panel access card door.

You do realize that using DirecTV in Canada is a violation of their service terms & conditions. It's possible that you may be outside the coverage of the satellite transponders that provide the HD channels.

8. Bigmoss

Bigmoss New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    The HD channels should be fine as other people I know up here get them

The exact models are

R10 and R22-100 and HR24

9. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The R22 and HR24 can use SWM, the R10 cannot. In that case you will want a "Slimline" dish with the four LNB outputs and not one with a built-in SWM. This would feed a 5 (or 6) x8 multiswitch that goes to your various boxes. With a x8 multiswitch you can feed 8 tuners, with each DVR needing two.