Need some advice on purchasing a HR10-250...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by robo456, Mar 21, 2007.

1. robo456

robo456 Member

May 28, 2002

Advertisements

Hey guys... I have a few SD-DVR80's that I've been using, all 'upgraded'. I've (the wife especially) has gotten used to the way Tivo looks and operates so I don't really want to switch over to D*'s new DVR service for HD.

I was looking at the HR10-250's on eBay, seem to be going for 2-300 or so. I only have a triple lnb, not really too concerned with MPG4 yet, so I figured this was my best bet.

One of my concerns was this lease vs own stuff. I was going to pick up just a regular HD receiver from Circuit City and noticed a "lease fee" for 4.99 per month plus the regular purchase price. Confused, I called D* and asked what the deal was. They told me "additional receiver fee" and "lease fee" were interchangable; just depends if you buy it direct from them, or retail. Is this right? If so, why do it, it just makes it more confusing.

Also, I plan on upgrading the hr10, so does 1st gen vs 2nd gen matter... (I guess 1st gen had some HDMI issues??) Should I try to get the receiver ID and call D* to check its status?

Any advice on what to check before I buy a used tivo now? Thanks for ANY info!!

--rob

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The $4.99 is the "additional receiver fee". I'm not sure how they would consider it a lease fee, since lease payments are one time "upgrades".

DirecTV will be of no help to you if you call and ask about an HR10. I have read that you should look at the manufacture date on the back and get one that is October 2005 or later, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

If you purchase a box from eBay, when you call to activate it make sure they list the box as owned and not leased. You will also be asked to purchase an access card. You will pay $4.99/mo for an additional receiver (that is, if you already have one) and $5.99/mo for DVR access, plus be required to subscribe to a package that includes HD.

As for what to look for on the box, there isn't anything I know of that you can check in advance. Disk upgrades can be done on any model.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you buy a used HR10 it is a "owned" unit. Then, you'd just pay the additional mirroring fee for receiver. Since you already are paying the DVR fee for the DVR80s, you won't pay any extra.

However, when you have it activated, make sure the CSR understands that this is not a leased unit. And, check the status online to make sure it is owned.

Dang! I type to slow. :)

4. robo456

robo456 Member

May 28, 2002
    Ok, sounds good, thanks for the quick replies. I knew about the access card that I'd have to buy, no biggie there. Actually, I have a dead Samsung HD (t160 something) that died, so I was gunna try to just have D* swap the cards with the new tivo one, we'll see about that.

Any other things to check? Thanks!

--rob

5. spellow

spellow Damn! Winters coming

Oct 31, 2003
    Northern, VA

Advertisements

I have a HR10-250 I will sell you.

6. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    I am going to sell one as well on EBAY soon. What do I do with the card? I've already cancelled by DTV service but do I send the card with the unit or will the buyer get their own?

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    aren't the machines without the date the ones to get? I'm pretty sure mine dont have dates but someone said that means they are the 'new' ones with the updated card.

8. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    This WOULD be the prudent way to do it, since this way you won't get hit with another 2 year commitment, plus it (should) stay as owned status to boot.

9. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I have one of each and can't really tell any difference between them. My older unit has a date of 27 Sept 04 and has the old HDMI card, but it still works great. The new units with the new HDMI card started appearing in December of 2004. Some of the first units had no date stamp on the back, but there were a few that still did. Any unit with no date stamp or a stamp of 2005 will be the new one with the updated HDMI card.

10. spellow

Oct 31, 2003
    Northern, VA
    I have 3 HD Tivo's I'm going to be selling, 1 is pre october and it has worked the longest without trouble.

so who knows about the date thing.

I will be selling my card with the unit, it's disconnected not much they can do with a tivo without the card short of buying a new card.

11. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Theoretically, you're not supposed to sell the access card. In practice, some DirecTV CSRs will let you activate with an old access card and some will not.

12. spellow

Oct 31, 2003
    Northern, VA
    true about the access cards, but just keep calling and you will get one eventually.

I would say you received it as a gift.

13. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious... how much?

14. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    In practice, what is everyone doing on ebay. Should i advertise that the card is included or not? I don't want to break any rules but I'm not sure the common practice.

15. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Advertise that the card is included. It might get you a few more bucks. But you should also stipulate on the auction page that DirecTV might make them buy a new card anyway. And make sure you let the unit phone in before you disconnect it, so there are not any charges on the card.

16. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    I called Directv and they said I can give the card to anyone. It may or may not work so since I don't plan on going back to DTV I see no issue with including it. I don't have the original remote from the unit but have a few old tivo remotes. Should I 1) sell w/o remote 2) include a basic tivo remote or 3) try to buy replacement and then sell all together.

I am assuming many people are going to use a universal remote anyway so the remote may not be a big deal?

17. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Not including a remote would be a bad idea. Most any "peanut" remote will work, though if the remote is not one with a DirecTV button you should say that some button functions will be different.

18. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    I know this has been covered but when does the Mpeg 4 kick in?

19. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Be aware of the $10/month "HD Access Fee" for anyone activating an HD receiver now.

20. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    stujac, MPEG4 has already "kicked in" in that newly added HD channels are MPEG4. There has been no announcement of a cutoff of the MPEG2 HD channels, and I don't expect that to happen any time soon.