need Premiere 4 purchasing advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rbobc, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rbobc

rbobc New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    I want to purchase a Premiere 4 for use with an unencrypted cable system. The system requires no CableCard. It offers much HDTV so that I feel forced to assume that it is digital. The channels are clearly cable not OTA.

I believe there may be versions that function with OTA and there are definitely versions that function with a CableCard. Is there a cable version of Premiere 4 that functions with unencrypted cable, i.e. without a CableCard?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Any Premiere or other TiVo will "work" with clear QAM but I've never tested a Roamio OTA or Bolt. Your experience will not be good.

Your guide will not work as it assumes a cable card is used. You can't label channels. You will have to do a manual scan which finds every QAM channel with a signal. My scan finds 460 but only 3 are clear. A Premiere will also find and enable any analog channels found. No check marks will be set, so you will have to manually enable your channel list. You can make those "Favorites" and have the guide display only Favorites. All recording will be manual. Only label on a recording is the channel, time and date. Every restart you will be asked to install the cable card.

I pay $2.95 for each cable card. Some pay nothing, some pay more. Please check the guide provided by www.zap2it.com to see what your guide would look like with a cable card.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

If the cable system is un-encrypted, why would a cable card be needed?

And would it even work on a cable system that's not set up to use them?

4. rbobc

rbobc New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Thank you. I appreciate your pointing out the programming problems created by no cablecard. I had heard something of that. I was very concerned that a Premiere 4 might not work at all without a cable card. I was trying to avoid getting an expensive door stop.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A cable card uses a VCT to map the clear QAM channels to the whole numbers used by the guide.

I'm not sure I understand your second question. Cable systems with clear QAM work fine on televisions with a digital tuner. A STB makes the channel numbers into whole numbers since it has a cable card inside.

I'm using a basic Premiere to hold programs. It receives 5 analog test patterns and three QAM channels.

6. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The Premiere 4 does not have analog tuners, but it does have QAM tuners. As pointed out above, there is no guide data without a CableCard. I'm assuming you're on some sort of college campus or similar situation with a private cable system that doesn't have CableCards? Any cable system that offers normal cable service is required by law to have CableCards.

Does anyone know if MCE can map clear QAM channels? I think it can. Other PC DVR solutions probably can too, and would work better than a TiVo for these sorts of oddball cable systems.