Need phone line for HR10-250 install?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cobra5wood, Oct 18, 2006.

1. cobra5wood

cobra5wood New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    St....

Advertisements

I have recently moved and finally get my Directv service installed at the new house this Sat(10/21). I dropped the ball and did not set up a new phone service until last night with an install date of 10/24. Will the Directv installer be able to setup my HR10-250 without an active phone line? He will be installing SD units in other parts of the house also.

2. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Are you a NEW customer, or are you moving your existing service & boxes? :confused: :confused:
    If you already had service, don't worry, it'll work just fine until you get your phone service.
    If not, then you won't be able to complete the initial calls until you get the phone line, which means you won't be able to record anything until then.
    Or, you could take it to a neighbor's house & do the initial setup there. (If your neighbor is close enough, just string a LONG phone cord from their house to yours ;) ;) )
    As far as the SD units - again, are these NEW or existing ones you had? And, are the Tivo's or not?
    If they are Tivo's, same applies as the HD box - if they are D* branded DVR's, it doesn't matter.

3. cobra5wood

cobra5wood New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    St....
    My HR10-250 was already installed at my old house along with the SD regular boxes I will use for the new house. I will have two accounts for a month or so since I haven't sold my old house yet and will continue to use a Directv Tivo and SD unit there(old house).

4. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Last night after I did a clear and delete everything to fix my 6.3a problems, I had to make a phone call. It won't let you record anything until the call is made. PITA in my opinion and completely unnecessary.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

If the installer makes a fuss, just tell them that your phone line will be installed soon. They should be OK with that. And your HR10-250 will work fine without a phone connection since it was already previously setup with "Guided Setup". You just won't be able to order PPV movies with your remote (use DirecTV's web site instead), and you won't get any software updates.

6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    WHY are you needing two accounts for such a short duration of time? :confused: :confused: Sure seems like a lot of work (& expense) for only a month's use. I did the same thing when I moved, since I wanted SOMETHING to listen to at the old house, as I was doing work there - I'm slow at moving :eek: )
    If it's ONLY for a month or so, just leave your account as is, move what you are going to move to the new place, then move the rest when you're totally out of the old place. If the installer wants ALL the units there to prewire, then move them ALL, then move whatever unit(s) back for the month. I would just unplug the units from the OLD place, so that it does not cause a problem with the ones at your new place.

(and before anyone jumps in here about "stacking" - doing it only for a month or so is NO big deal. Now, if you're doing it for a YEAR...)