need mpeg-2 audio decoder codec. 3rd posts no responses thus far

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lnd1313, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 10
    lnd1313

lnd1313 New Member

Oct 24, 2004

Advertisements

i cant play shows that i have transferred from my tivo to my computer. i have tried three different media players. windows media player is the only one that told me what i need but i don't know where to get it. it says "Codec is missing
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the MPEG-2 audio decoder codec is not installed on your computer.". i also tried the video decoder utility that after reading other posts but it didn't appear to do anything. anyway does anybody know where i can download the mpeg-2 audio decoder codec? hopefully that will fix my problem. thanks

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 10
    bonnie_raitt

bonnie_raitt Member

Sep 14, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Try VideoHelp at

Link

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 10
    lnd1313

lnd1313 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    the site you provided seems hard to navigate and with what searching i did i did not find what i needed although i did send the people that run the site an e-mail and asked them to give me a link if they had what i am looking for which seems unlikely after looking through there site but they said a response will take several days so any other sugesstions anybody might have would be appreciated. seeing as the three media players i tried are pretty common i cant believe more people havent had this problem and thusly i would have expected more responses but i will keep trying. thanks again for any help you might provide

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 10
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Instead of getting the correct codec, I think you need to convert the file to mpeg first.
    Not sure what to use, but someone here does.

May I also suggest that in future posts you add capitalization and punctuation. It makes it a whole lot easier to read. :)

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 10
    lnd1313

lnd1313 New Member

Oct 24, 2004

Advertisements

Okay, that sounds reasonable. But that brings up several other questions. 1) What software do you need to turn a .tivo file into a mpeg file? 2) Where would i get such software? and 3) How much might said software cost? Again while i am open to this resolution i am not giving up on finding the codec either so if you have any information on either of these possible solutions i will anxiously await your post. thank you

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 10
    thelastvoice

thelastvoice New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hollywood, CA
  7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 10
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Though it seems sort of silly at this point, the owner of this forum has asked people not to discuss how to remove "protection" from .tivo files. You can certainly find a lot of discussion of this elsewhere.

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 10
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    He doesn't want to convert. He just wants to play the .tivo file.

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 10
    lnd1313

lnd1313 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    First of all i want to thank everybody for their sugesstions. As i already have 3 media players i dont want to download a 4th (older one at that) when i can get the current one i have to work just by adding a codec, if only i could find it. And i still am willing to convert the .tivo file to an mpeg file if that will get it to play and if the owner of the forum does not like that then they can find where i can get the codec i need and post a link for me and that will end it. seriously who would have thought it would be so hard to find a single codec which brings up the question why would tivo create a file that doesnt work with the newest versions of three different media players??? Anyway still searching for an answer. Hope someone out there can help. Thanks again.

10. thelastvoice

thelastvoice New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hollywood, CA
    I know the name is a little confusing, but the Media Player Classic that I linked to has no relation to old versions of Windows Media Player. It's a 2mb .zip download with a single .exe and requires no installation and is probably the easiest way to solve your problem. I had problems getting .tivo files to play on my computer and could never find the right codecs that would allow them to play correctly in Windows Media Player. Now I use Media Player Classic as my default player for pretty much everything.

Nice attitude. :( The owner of this forum is under no obligation to help you do anything to get .tivo files to play on your computer.

Rob