need more space - buy a disk or buy a new unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ps56k, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 #1 of 23
    ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...
    Have a THD that works fine with our Comcast and the Digital Starter Package,
    so we're not recording movies and such -
    just the normal 1hr shows from a variety of channels... only keeping 1 or 2 episodes per show.

A quick look seems to indicate that the shows are using 5GB of space per show x about 20 shows = 100GB used in our Tivo HD.

SO - if we want more space, and are happy with the THD, should we just replace the disk with a larger version and re-establish our Season Pass

or -
    get a newer model that has larger capacity....

2. Jun 3, 2011 #2 of 23
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
  3. Jun 3, 2011 #3 of 23
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The Series 4 Premiere is not a significant upgrade from a TivoHD. Just upgrade the drive, it's much less expensive and easy to do.

4. Jun 3, 2011 #4 of 23
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Agreed. Indeed, even if you were to decide to get a new system, I would recommend upgrading the drive immediately. 'Put the old drive on the shelf, and you have a backup in case the new drive ever fails. That's the best insurance $75 can buy, if you ask me.

5. Jun 3, 2011 #5 of 23
    ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...
    tnx for the upgrade FAQ - just read thru the old and recent messages...
    For our Tivo HD (THD)
    I would probably go internal - one less external thing to fail.
    Next is the choice of pre-format, or do the blank drive....
    Looking at Weeknees, the 1TB is $199 (blank) or $250 (pre-formatted).

If going blank, then the logistics of the SATA copy with winMFS or whatever, along with getting our CableCards re-paired.... and Comcast ALWAYS seems to screw that up.

Normally, we are ok on space - but with our son home from school for the summer (oh joy) it seems our TiVo space is getting a workout.

6. Jun 3, 2011 #6 of 23
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Forget about the Weaknees drives. They're grossly overpriced. Get yourself a blank drive from Newegg or whoever you like to buy your PC components from. Create a backup of the original drive using WinMFS and then clone the original drive to the new one and then expand the partitions. You'll retain all of your settings, season passes, and recordings. Swap out the drives and put the original away for safekeeping. The backup image may seem like overkill, but since you've got the drive pulled anyway it's just cheap insurance to always have a backup image.

7. Jun 3, 2011 #7 of 23
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Even better- jump to the TiVo Upgrade Center and then pick up the Comer CD. 2 TB of goodness awaits. It is very easy and only the cost of a 2TB drive.

8. Jun 3, 2011 #8 of 23
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  9. Jun 3, 2011 #9 of 23
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I agree completly. I was a first adopter. Bought mine preodered. I now own 2 and both work just fine (knock on wood)
    My only complaint would be the esata cable that comes with them was/is to short. I got a good siig 6ft cable. Its nice to have the extra cable in case you need to pull your TiVo out, like to restart it when it freezes up after an update. For me its easier to pull it out of the rack than get to the BBU.

10. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Does that work with THD?

Different Q, if I already have the DVR expander (1TB) married. Can I use it if I upgrade the internal to 1TB as well? (TiVo HD)

11. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Yes, it does.

12. brshoemak

brshoemak Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I have to give another vote for an internal drive. My Tivo Premiere came with a 320GB Western Digital Green drive. I pulled it out, copied it to a 2TB Western Digital Green drive I picked up from Newegg for $70. Used some of the utilities I found through this site and it was dead simple if you are comfortable connecting drive to a computer. Also, I'm not familiar with the HD unit but my Premiere uses two kinds of Torx screws. Keep that in mind if you want to replace the drive.

I can't tell you how nice it is to have all that additional space. I have ridiculous amounts of HD content, beyond all the regular HD content I even have about 250 Deleted Items - and with all that the drive is only 30% full.

I saved the original drive so if I need to send it in for warranty work (doubtful) I can swap the old drive back in.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    To clarify, comer's JMFS Live CD will work on the TivoHD, but you have to use the WinMFS software to do the supersize option to get the maximum usage for a 2TB hard drive.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

14. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you want to use an external drive, I suggest a really big one formatted as one NT partition inside a computer running Tivo Desktop.

Not because TVD is all that wonderful, but you can use it to back up your shows and copy them to any TiVo on your account, which is handy if the one that originally recorded them goes belly up.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Drives are now beyond the max size that will be used... so actually using an external computer to download stuff to, and then optionally copy/stream back seems like a viable solution. (So far, I've only done it for things I want to 'keep' like musician performances.. But buying a Fry's-cheap-drive-of-the-day once a year to get more manual external storage seems viable too.)

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Copying shows to a PC, or even another TiVo, is not a viable solution for everyone due to DRM. Some cable providers enable to "copy once" flag on everything, meaning it's impossible to move a show from the TiVo it was recorded on. In fact the problem is so prevalent that TiVo is actually working on a way to stream shows between TiVos, rather then copy them, to work around this issue. Even if your cable operator does not do this now there is no guarantee that they wont flip the switch one day in the not to distant future and ruin your whole setup.

My advice.... If you want something quick and easy get the external drive. It takes 30 seconds to install and start using. If you want to save a few bucks, or just like to tinker, then upgrade the internal drive. Given the average compression used on most cable/OTA channel you'll get 150+ hours of HD content on a 1TB drive. Unless you watch a LOT of TV, or plan to use your TiVo as a permanent storage device, that should be more then enough.

Dan

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know that is an issue for some people, but "so prevalent" seems like an exaggeration.. do you have a citation? I admit I don't. (Again, we only hear about the people that COMPLAIN about it.)

My single anecdote is for myself.. the only things restricted from transfer I see are the rare HBO recordings I make (and like I've said before, podcast downloads, which seems ridiculous to me).

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Several of the largest MSOs, including Time Warner Cable and Frontier, copy protect every single channel that is not locally broadcast. That represents more than 20% of all the CATV customers in the United States. It's not "most", but it is surely a large minority. By comparison, African Amercians represent about 8% of the population in the U.S., if I recall.

It would not take much for the MPAA to sweet talk Comcast into copy protecting everything. That would push it from a large minority to a majority overnight. Add in Verizon and Cox, and it would make it nearly unanimous.

With the exception of PBS programs - 8 or 10 a week - every single program I record would be copy protected if I had not done something about it. That's dozens of programs a week.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Huh? 'Care to run that by me, again?

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Not to speak for someone else, but I think we're talking about "You can't use a 3TB drive in a TiVo, but you can stick it in a computer and Desktop over to it from the TiVo".