Need MoCa education

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bengalfreak, Nov 17, 2019.

1. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Between here and the TiVo support pages, I've been searching on this for a couple of hours and I am thoroughly confused.

In my current home, I ran ethernet cable to the kitchen, living room, family room and all three bedrooms to supply my Roamio Pro and 4 Tivo minis. That's not possible in my new home without having to do some complicated fishing of cables through walls (a two story on a concrete slab). Its my understanding that I can use the coaxial cables for a MoCa network. But the cable outlets are not connected to each other. They run outside to the cable companies box there. Can someone point me to a thread that explains how MoCa works like I don't have a clue, because I don't.

Oh, by the way, I'm on spectrum in southern Ohio.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    "But the cable outlets are not connected to each other. They run outside to the cable companies box there." Apparently your first point of confusion is that the cable outlets in your home are, in fact, connected to each other in that cable companies box, which is attached to your home. Inside that "box" is most likely a multiport splitter where the cables are certainly attached. The input of that splitter is where you would likely install a MoCA filter, unless you want to share your network with one or more neighbors. Depending on what cable modem is used, you might need an additional MoCA filter on the input of the cable modem but that is less common these days.
    If you can get both an Ethernet cable from your router and coax to feed your Roamio Pro you will be able to use the Roamio's builtin MoCA to create a MoCA network and link to your minis which also have MoCA builtin.
    If you cannot get Ethernet from your router to your Roamio, you would need a MoCA adapter/bridge to connect to the coax and make the Ethernet connection to your router, in which case your Roamio would be configured to "connect to" a MoCA network rather than "create" a MoCA network.
    Here are a couple links I found with searching Google and Youtube....each took about 10 seconds, you might want to go through a few of the links discovered to help with your confusion.
    moca installation - Google Search
    MoCA installation - YouTube

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    The concept of HOW MoCA works is quite simple (and often the setup of MoCA is quite simple too).

MoCA is not a separate network in your home - it is simply an EXTENSION of your existing Ethernet network so that the same Ethernet signals that run on your cat5/6 wires can also run over your TV coax wires. Moca uses a much higher frequency than TV signals, so the two types of traffic on the same coax do not interfere with each other.

A MoCA bridge is required to allow the Ethernet signals to "cross over the gap" between the cat5 wires and the coax wires. Yes, all the coax wires where you WANT the network signals to be available must be interconnected, but the reality is, they virtually always ARE already connected together in a house; that is why all your TVs can receive the same cable or antenna signal in different rooms.

Once you have a MoCA bridge in place, any Ethernet device, like a TiVo or a computer, can connect to your home network by using the coax wires and a MoCA client adapter. (Many TiVo boxes have built-in MoCA client adapters, but not all.) A stand-alone client adapter simply connects to any coax cable outlet and provides a normal Ethernet jack where you can then plug in any Ethernet cat5/6 cable. Any device connected through MoCA can see/interact with any other Ethernet device on the same local network, so you would be fine if you had one Mini connected with MoCA, and your host TiVo DVR connected with wired Ethernet.

Any TiVo DVR that has built-in MoCA can work as EITHER a bridge or a client. Your Roamio Pro does have built-in MoCA, so if you connect it to BOTH an Ethernet cable and a coax cable, it can be configured to operate as the required MoCA bridge. If you do not have Ethernet wires available at the Roamio location, you can install a stand-alone MoCA bridge ANYWHERE in the house where you have access to both coax and Ethernet wires at the same place, and then you can configure the Roamio to operate as a MoCA client, the same way a Mini does.

Diana Collins and kpeters59 like this.
  5. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Are you technically trying to understand how MoCA works? Or do you just want what I call a "Fisher Price" explanation of MoCA? If it is the latter, here it is in a nutshell.

MoCA enables you to extend your wired computing/data network by leveraging your coax cable runs so that you have network access to locations where you have coax, but no ethernet. You need a "box" to transition between coax and ethernet (both going from ethernet to coax, and coax back to ethernet).

That is about it. Most of us have seen solutions that allow you to use your power lines to extend your landline phone service to areas of the home without a phone jack, right? This is almost identical in terms of a use case where you are leveraging other wires/cables to transmit signals that they were never originally intended for.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Wow. Thanks so much everyone. I got the Roamio Pro and a mini setup on a MoCa network. It was super easy. All of the above replies were helpful. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. During the move I had limited internet for several days. Again thank you all.

Now to figure out how to get TV to my kitchen which has neither coax nor ethernet ports handy.

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Powerline Ethernet might work.

There was a recent post about a new model just coming out.

I've had mixed success with it.

It'll work, but it seems less 'robust' and I'd find the units needing unplugging/replugging...

-KP