Need Major Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clucas05, Jan 16, 2006.

1. clucas05

clucas05 New Member

Jun 2, 2005

Advertisements

I need some help...I noticed my TiVo recordings were being split into 4 or 5 recordings and had no idea...as I was watching through my regular TV input I realized that the unit was starting and restarting as I switched over to the TiVo input I noticed an overheat message right before it started powering up again. I felt the unit and it was extremely hot to the touch. I unplugged it and let is sit for a while. After it cooled down I plugged it back in but now the lights on the front are Yellow and Red, where the green light normally would be. The input I use for the TiVo is a black screen and nothing appears. I have a series 2 TiVo. Is my TiVo fried? I have only had it for two years??? Any help would be appreciated. ( I am not real tech savy) so I am hesitant to do anything major.

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Is it in a confined space and/or plugged up with dust?

3. clucas05

clucas05 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    We have an entertainment center and just dusted...it has clearance above the unit and is not overally dusty - that was the first thing I checked

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Is it a unit that has intake and outflow air vent son the bottom?

If so, what can happen when it is in a confined space is that the warm air flows out the outflow vent and right in to the intake vent.

Some people (myself included), have performed the "rolled paper trick". Roll up a piece of construction paper, slide it under the TiVO between the vents, and let it expand. Granted, the warm air can circulate around anyway, but the issue is the internal temp, and doing this may very well lower that some.

I did this (with a machine no where near the high temp range), and it lower my TiVO's temp about 4 degrees.