Need help with Tuning Adapter from Time Warner

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 #1 of 13
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Having a regular problem with Tivo Premiere and Tuning Adapter. Previously, rebooting the Premiere would work but not for the switched digital channels.

Does anyone know the process for resetting the switched digital channels?

I reboot the Premiere and then disconnect/reconnect the USB/power of the Tuning Adapter. Then once Tivo restarts I get the message on screen saying the Tuning Adapter is now connected.

However, I still can't get those channels working. Please let me know.

Thanks.

2. May 3, 2011 #2 of 13
    rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Unplug and restart the TA. If that doesn't do it call TW and ask them to "hit" the TA.

Bob

3. May 3, 2011 #3 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you give your location it helps get better advice here. Is the TA Cisco or Motorola?

Assuming it is a Cisco TA, you may have around 10 minutes of blinking green light after you power cycle it, before it goes steady. Sometimes the light blinks a few times then goes off completely. In that case push the button on the front of the TA. After the TA light goes steady on, you may have to reboot your TiVo to force it to get the channel list from the TA.

4. May 3, 2011 #4 of 13
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am located in Cleveland, Ohio with Time Warner. Yes, it's the Cisco model.

I get the blinking lights until it goes off completely. I then hit the button and get the light blinking again but it never goes back to solid.

5. May 3, 2011 #5 of 13
    rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Usually there is a pattern to the blinking light. e.g. 6 short 1 long. If it never stops blinking is it 12 short then a longer off time that keeps repeating (I'm going on several months ago memory here :) ) If so that confirms that TW needs to remotely "hit" it. Hope that helps. Bob

6. May 5, 2011 #6 of 13
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I called Time Warner and talked to their customer service. They "hit" the TA and I got the flashes and then it turned off.

When I turned it back on and it was still flashing the customer service rep said someone else needed to call me back. Of course, no one ever did call me back.

However, I checked a few hours later and got the solid light so I could tell it was working.

I am having to do this once per month if not more often. Is that normal or could there be an issue with the TA itself?

7. May 5, 2011 #7 of 13
    rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I have only had to do it a couple of times and I have had one T/A for nearly two years and another for about a year; so it seems you have a problem. One of the times it had to be done, their set top box had to be hit as well because it was missing lots of channels too.

If this continues, ask them to replace the T/A. I did that once to see if it would help with my Premiere's problem of not responding to the remote, and they sent a new T/A and a return label to put on the box to send the old one back in. This is in Syracuse, NY, could be different where you are.

Bob

8. May 5, 2011 #8 of 13
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I can't pinpoint the specific event that's causing the TA to start blinking. Guess I will wait one more time and then ask Time Warner to replace although I would think they would resist given the unit is usually working.

It just becomes more of a hassle to mess around with the Tivo and TA then have to wait on the phone with Time Warner.

9. May 6, 2011 #9 of 13
    rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I hear you on that. I'm about to leave TW for FiOS because no T/A needed and no obstacles to transferring any shows.
    Bob

10. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    This is the procedure I was by Moxi to use. Moxi had an issue at one point with the tuning adapter dropping the SDV channels. That was fixed last year tho. Here's their procedure.

1 - Unplug TA power and USB
    2 - Reboot Tivo
    3 - Power up TA and wait for light to turn solid green
    4 - Reconnect USB cable

This always worked for me. Tivo could be different but that's how I was to reset the tuning adapter.

11. Lorcane

Lorcane New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    South Texas
    I'm having a similar issue, every month or so I have to reboot everything and then the problem normally fixed itself. This time that is not the case. I have a new tuning adapter being delivered on Sunday I'll let you know if that fixes the problem. Its the Cisco type.

12. Beernutts

Beernutts New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    These issue mostly aren't related to the TA, it's all from the Headend. The Cisco TA's need to be re-balanced (or something like that) every month, and most Cable locations have it done automatically, but there are still some that don't, and the TiVo users at those locations have to call and get them re-balanced every month.

That's my guess.

13. Lorcane

Lorcane New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    South Texas
    Well, no suprise the phone support doesn't know whats going on with the live tech in the truck. There are no new TA available and TWC doesn't seem to care to make an effort to get new ones. So far they have replaced my line, re-ended the cables on each visit... up to 4 now.. 2nd service request for boosted signal on my incoming line from the main node... Still no SDV channels. How do you get TWC to check the billing computer for errors? They ignore me when I suggest that might be the issue. I'm in South Texas, Rio Grande Valley Market.

Oh, and btw everything was working on June 4th, 2011. SDV stopped sometime during the night between the 4th and the 5th.