1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with series 3 HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SueC, May 15, 2018.

1. SueC

SueC New Member

May 6, 2018
    My daughter recently got a new Tivo and shipped me her old series 3 HD (252160), which had lifetime service. I got a cable card from Comcast and set up a Tivo account for myself, transferring the service. It was great! I set up the box for my channels, scheduled season passes, and all worked well....for 1.5 days. Then suddenly all the lights started blinking and the Tivo shut off. Then the green light would come on, the powering up screen would come on, then after a minute or so it would shut off and start over. Occasionally it would get to the "just a few more minutes" screen. Once it even worked for about 15 minutes.

I opened the Tivo and found that the fan blade was laying on top of the power supply....presume it had come loose during shipping. I replaced it, and the fan worked, but that didn't solve my problem. I wondered if it had gotten too hot and burned something out. Sometimes the green light would blink while it was cycling as described above, so I tried the hair dryer trick with no success.

I don't know where to go from here. I use a chromebook for daily surfing and shopping. My laptop computer is old and slow. Also, I don't feel comfortable doing electronic tests myself. I have called two "electronic repair" shops in nearby South Bend, IN and both tell me they do not work on Tivos. I am a older widow, and can't afford a repair at WK, especially since I don't know what costs I would be getting into...their prices seem outrageous. Are there not any other places that work on Tivo's? (I sure can't find any!) I would be okay with taking it a hundred miles or so if I could find a repair person.

Or should I buy a used Tivo and try swapping out the hard drive and/or the power supply. One capacitor looks very, very slightly raised at the top...I think. Should I get it replaced before doing anything else? And by whom? These "electronic" shops?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    How do the large power supply capacitors look?

They're fairly well known for going bad, making the power supply not work well.

Often they display a bulge at the top, but not always.

There should be plenty of threads around here about that...

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Electronic repair shops should be able to replace the capacitors. Usually those are the cause. The repair shop may not even know what a Tivo is, but if you can ask if they can work on the power supply, it can help. They can also cause the hard drive to go wonky.

Another is to look up computer repair shops. Tivo is similar to computers as well.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    If the caps are bad, there's at least one thread around here with a parts list to replace them.

The Power Supply itself is easy to remove from the chassis. It could then be taken to a repair shop and it would be an even simpler process for them.

Also, there may be someone on this forum who could do the work.

And, OF COURSE, Weaknees does that too, I believe...

-KP

5. tapokata

tapokata Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Not trying to be a debbie downer here, but the green light of death on the HD could be the power supply, but could also be a temperature related problem with the main board. I had two HD's- one of those went dead, and replacing the power supply didn't bring it back to life. With the case open, and a fan blowing on the heat sink for the CPU, I could keep it running for about 1/2 hour before it would fail. Both units had lifetime service, and I was able to use the failing units LS to trade up to a Bolt. Unlike the OP's issue, the original fan never failed, but the temp problems still occurred.

Weaknees will diagnose and repair these units, but at a cost that may make moving to a Roamio or Bolt a better choice. I still have the other HD in service, but it's in my garage workshop, tied to a separate antenna. I have long since gotten my money out of this box, and I appreciate it very much, but that said: The software features are very limited- the only app that will run on it now is the Netflix, and while Lifetime support gives you guide service, the box doesn't have the ability to stream to a Mini, lacks "skip mode", integrated search functions, and other functionality. It also has only two tuners, compared to a minimum of 4 in a Bolt.

As much as the HD may have seemed like a great pass along bargain, the investment needed to keep it running may be more than the future benefits that the box can provide.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Certainly sounds like it's the power supply capacitors which is a known issue as these S3/HD models age. If you know someone who can solder, you can replace them for $10.00 in parts and their are lists here for which caps to replace (need low ESR versions). If you can find someone to help or an electronics store that can replace them for a reasonable price, we can send you links to the posts.

Scott

7. SueC

SueC New Member

May 6, 2018
    The larger caps appear fine but....

I have been reading through all 31 pages of the thread about bad capacitors, trying to find the one that lists what I need for the 252160....a link to the right list would be appreciated. I think I will try that cheap fix first. I think I can find a shop to do the replacement...they don't have to know what the power supply is from.

I am wary of buying a HD on eBay...they are not as cheap as they used to be. My daughter bought a $15 non-lifetime one from FB Marketplace that was said to be working. Plugged it in and it was dead. She is, nevertheless, sending me that power supply and hard drive, so I will get two sets of caps. May try to plug in the new hard drive, too, in case that is the problem.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    To be clear, This is a TCD652160.

Correct? There is no 252160.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I believe you mean TCD652160. There are actually 2 power supply versions that were used in the HD series so you need to know which one you have so you can use the right list. Note that the 2 power supplies are interchangeable.

Here's one post covering the earlier 3Y Power model.

Series 3 Tivo HD Capacitor List

But I like this list of Panasonic capacitors better myself.

Tivo Series 3 - Bad capacitors in power supply

And great picture here of this one (with parts list).

I created this list for the later Acbel Polytech model but I have not had to fix ours yet.

Another great picture here of this one (with parts list).

Scott

10. SueC

SueC New Member

May 6, 2018
    Yes, of course I meant 652160. Thank you so much for the lists!