Need help with one pass

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Apr 21, 2020.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I am recording all of the Battlestar Galactica on SYFY. For some reason my Roamio plus on te4 wants to delete in 24 hours..all of them say this. I have the one pass set "until I delete" it was set on " when room needed" or whatever . The drive is at 22%. How can I make sure these dont get deleted??

2. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    If they're already recorded, your Onepass hasn't recorded them as "Until I Delete". You'll have to go into each show and set it under "Keep Until..."
    The new ones should all be "Until I Delete"

That's if Sci-Fi and Tivo don't have an agreement to delete that show. I remember a while back they had an agreement with The Simpsons where it didn't matter what you set it at, your Tivo would just delete them after a time anyway.

wizwor likes this.
  3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I did discover that I could go one by one and scroll sideways to KEEP and then choose " keep until I delete" . All is well . Thanks.

4. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    There is no such agreement.

Tivo doesn’t - and has never - done that.

wizwor likes this.
  5. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004

Please only speak when you know what you're speaking of. There was a time when broadcasters did indeed put a "time limit" on how long you could store certain shows, similar to the "record protection" bit set today. This was back in the early 2000s IIRC, and only a few shows were affected. The Simpsons was the one I remember being the most lamented as some Tivo users would store their recordings for over a week then discover them missing when they were settling in for a binge session.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To avoid those yellow dots, set "Keep at most" to "All".

7. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I’ve been around since that time and never have heard of such a thing.

If it did happen it was likely a flag set by a cable operator incorrectly.

It certainly wasn’t a deal between “The Simpsons” (local broadcaster? FOX network? syndicator? 20th Century Fox?) and TiVo as you described.

8. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    So..."I didn't see it so it didn't happen, and if it did happen, it wasn't a deal between anyone and was just probably a local guy with a fat finger"....yeah, sounds like you did your homework.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, I've heard of what he says probably happened happening. I've never heard of what you think happened happening. Can you cite a source for that actually happening at any point?

10. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    And even if it did happen for you to cite this possible remote 15+ year old incident as a possible reason for this particular person’s issue is not really helpful and reeks of conspiracy theory.

“TiVo’s at it again, the bastards! They thought we’d forget! Never! I’ve got the receipts!”

11. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004

This was back in the Series 2 days as Tivo was transitioning to Premier from S2. My Google Fu isn't what it used to be, but the article outlining it was titled something to the effect of "You're not the only one deleting shows from your Tivo" and cited sources. You can attempt to find it if you'd like.

I bet you're a lot of fun on twitter.
    He didn't mention his Tivo version. However, with the history of testing this "Program expiration" feature in the past, and pre-roll ads presently, this is always an option for Tivo to revive. It's important to bring up the past for uninformed naysayers like yourself that love to throw out a "Nuh uh!!!" when it becomes forgotten.

I'm sure another old timer will pop on that remembers this. Maybe someone saved the article link. I've changed computers so many times since the 90s - 2000s that I wouldn't have a prayer of saving a bookmark that long.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But my understanding at the time was that it always turned out to be incorrectly-applied flags, not some deal between TiVo and providers.

cwoody222 likes this.
  13. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004

The article detailed that it was a new feature to allow programs to "expire", regardless of the Keep Until setting.

14. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
  15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Back when TiVo supported Amazon downloads (video rentals) they would expire and get deleted automatically after a certain amount of time after you watched or started watching it on your TiVo, so it was certainly functionality that TiVo series 3 supported - I witnessed it myself.

16. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Yes, there was a brief, ill fated attempt to extend digital content protection flags to the analog world. The end result was self-deleting shows after 7 days.

Whether this was triggered intentionally (and then backed off), or triggered accidentally due to incorrect flagging, or triggered accidentally due to Tivo's misreading flagging, I don't think we'll ever know.