Need help with multiple receiver setup please.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TomFrazier, Jan 26, 2006.

1. TomFrazier

TomFrazier New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    I would like some help with a multi room setup please.

Here is what I have now: 18" oval dish dual LNB (single head)with 2 outputs with one line going to a DTV/Tivo Dual Tuner Receiver using only 1 tuner in our Family Rm and the other line going to just a simple DTV receiver in our bedroom.

Here is what I just purchased and already have: I just purchased 2 DTV/Tivo Dual Tuner Receivers and I already have another 18" oval dish dual LNB (single head) with 2 outputs new in box.

Here is what I want to do: I would like to have Dual tuner capability in my Family Rm, Master Bdrm and Son's Rm (2 lines each room). I would also like to hook up regular DTV in my daughters room(single line)

I get my locals from DTV so I don't use a external antenna.

Now what type of Multiswitch do I need and do I need to hook up my other Dish? Can you explain the setup a bit?

Thanks,
    Tom Frazier

2. greywolf

greywolf New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Evanston IL
  3. TomFrazier

TomFrazier New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    GrayWolf, will the multiswitch you linked to also work with HDDTV if I decide to get it next year?

What about the Eagle Aspen 5x8 Multiswitch with Power Supply (S-4180-GX+) instead of the 3x8?

Also Can I install the Multiswitch outside behind the dish?

What about diplexers? Do I need them? I was planning on running two cables to each room for each receiver. But correct me if I am wrong; A diplexor would alow me to run just one cable to each room and then split it again to go to each tuner on the receiver???

Thanks,
    Tom

4. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    No.

Yes. It will work with your current dish or the PhaseIII multi-sat dish.

Not recommended. Put it in a place that is at least out of the direct weather. In the attic is recommended.

You are wrong. Diplexers are used to combine satellite and antenna frequncies on the same cable. To do what you are describing would take stackers and de-stackers. They are expensive. Do a search because they have been discussed a lot.

-Robert

5. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    If you plan to go with HD later get a multiswitch with five inputs like the Aspen you mention. There are others as well. See the sticky at the top of the page.