Need help with multiple boxes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by okazaki, Nov 1, 2015.

1. okazaki

okazaki New Member

Oct 31, 2015

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I am completely new to this Tivo thing. I currently have Fios and a Mac Mini running Plex in my house. I pretty much use plex for mostly everything. I am looking at adding plex to another TV and stumbled on the app that's available for Tivo. Long story short...

I have a Sonos playbar that only has optical input and needs DD5.1 not DTS.
    I know the new BOLT does 1080p and works well with Plex. My issue is that I want to add it to another TV. Tivo mini is available but it seems that the Mini does NOT have optical out... Or is possible to get it using a dongle of some sort?

If not, I could get another Bolt box, however, will I be able to use it as an extender to the first Bolt box? Or will it need another subscription from Tivo? Or will I be able to set it up an extender like a Mini would be?

Would really appreciate some help. Both TVs needs optical output and an adapter is not an option that breaks HDMI into optical , because the TV doesn't do DD5.1 out and it would make it only stereo...

Thanks so much in advance guys

2. ShadowCVL

ShadowCVL Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Hey there, I can actually help you out here. I use an older stereo receiver that doesn't take hdmi and I wanted to simplify things. I have actually had this device for about 2 years and works great. Unfortunately I'm too "noob" to post a link so search Amazon for J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter

It takes hdmi in and decodes the audio to 2.0 or 5.1 (whatever the device is outputting) and sends the hdmi signal on the way unmolested (works with 1.4 and hdcp). And you get optical and rca spdif outputs from the box.

I have the following running through mine with 0 issues:

Bolt
    Roamio OTA
    PC
    Xbox One
    PS4
    Wii U