Need help with MM1000 MoCA setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by esjones, Jun 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I just got a Motorola MM1000 from Amazon today and hooked it up according to directions. It sorta works, but not as expected.

First, some background. My TiVo Roamio Plus is in the bedroom. There is no wired ethernet in there, so I’ve been using powerline ethernet adapters to connect it to the Internet. This works fine, even though TiVo recommends against doing this.

I bought a TiVo Mini to use downstairs in our budget home theater. There’s no wired ethernet there, either, but there is a coax connection. Great, I thought. I can use MoCA for the Mini. Which I did, creating a bridge in the Roamio, and which works 95% of the time. Usually, because there is some stuttering on streaming sources sometimes.

I thought things would be better (and supported) if I got rid of the powerline adapters. So, I purchased the MM1000 after reading that others had it working with TiVo OK.

The cable modem and router are in a home office. That’s where I put the MM1000. So BEFORE, I had:

· Ethernet via powerline to TiVo Roamio Plus in the Bedroom, which bridged to coax.

· TiVo Mini in the theater room, getting it’s network via MoCA.

AFTER Installing the MM1000 near the router,

· The TiVo Mini works great. (This confirms that the MM1000 is working.) But…

· The Roamio detects the MoCA network, sees three MoCA devices (itself, the MM1000 and the Mini) but reports it cannot detect the router. I’ve checked everything I can think of to check in connections, double-checking the configuration (I changed the Roamio from bridge mode to client mode in the MoCA setup) and made sure that all splitters were rated to at least 1000 MHz as recommended by the MM1000 user guide.

What am I overlooking?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    But the Plus has its own MoCA, so why would you still need the Powerline adapter?

-KP

3. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe it's because you have the Roamio in Bridge mode?

It should just be in Client Mode.

Unplug the Mini and rerun MoCA setup on the Roamio.

Then plug the Mini back in.

-KP

4. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    K
    I don't. My goal is to replace the powerline adapter using MoCA.

5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I was having a little trouble pinning down what your final setup ended up being.

Just 3 MoCA devices, right?

When you switch MoCA devices around it's a good idea to give each device a clear path to its destination, minus any dead-ends, like a Mini would be to a Roamio.

-KP

6. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I had the Roamio in client mode. Thanks for your suggestion, but I tried unplugging the Mini and the setup still doesn't work.

7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What are the MoCA Stats with the Mini unplugged.

-KP

8. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Yes, just 3 MoCA devices... the MM1000, the Roamio Plus and the Mini.
    I'm not sure I follow your reference to a dead-end. If a device is on the network, it should be able to communicate, right?
    What's puzzling is that the Roamio reports that it is connected to the internet (I guess it "sees" the MoCA connection) and reports 3 devices, but that it cannot reach the router. Odd, because the Mini has no problem seeing the router, and it's on the same MoCA network.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First thought is that you’d want to start by:
    1. disconnecting the Roamio Plus from the Powerline adapter (the Plus’ Ethernet port should be empty), then make sure that MoCA is disabled on the Plus;
    2. do a full power reset of your gear: power everything off, including modem, router, switches, MoCA adapters, Plus and Minis; and then bring the devices back online, one-at-a-time, in the above order, making sure each is working before proceeding to the next — noting that you’ll configure the Plus as a MoCA client.
    This would hopefully address any simple setup errors or residual confusion as to the MoCA bridge among your devices.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is anything plugged-in to the Roamio’s Ethernet port?

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Powerline adapter was providing the Plus with its Ethernet connection in the earlier Powerline setup attempt, with the Roamio Plus then bridging the Powerline connection over to coax/MoCA to provide the Mini a connection.

Now, with the MM1000 in place, the Powerline adapters shouldn’t be a part of the setup — at least not the Powerline adapter at the DVR location. As has been noted, the DVR should now be connected and configured as a MoCA client only ... with nothing connected to its Ethernet port.

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What happens is all the Nodes are detected.

But, the Node from the Roamio to the Mini is of no value to the Roamio.

So, by disconnecting the Mini, then the only valid Nodes are the Roamio and the MM1000 and then the Network and on to the Internet.

-KP

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the full power reset doesn’t fix things, I’d recommend sketching a rough diagram of your device connections, coax and Ethernet, including how the rooms and incoming feed interconnect, and through what component(s).

Also, does your provider require a SDV Tuning Adapter at the DVR?

fcfc2 likes this.
  14. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I forgot where I saw those stats, and couldn't get any connection via MoCA (on the Roamio) with the Mini unplugged.

Odd as it seems, the symptom remains that the Roamio works as a bridge, but not as a client. I understand that the problem may be in the Roamio itself, but is much more likely to be a symptom of another external problem.

15. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Why, yes, there is a Cisco tuning adapter connected to the Roamio. I had mentally dismissed that as a problem source because the Roamio was working well in bridge mode.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MoCA stats are found in the Network Status dialog.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How is the Roamio coax-connected, via the TA’s pass-through port or via a splitter (allowing both the DVR and TA direct coax connections)?

A MoCA-enabled DVR must not be connected via the TA pass-through port, as this port severely attenuates signals at MoCA frequencies. A MoCA-compatible splitter should be used to connect the DVR and TA to the coax, and a MoCA filter may be needed on the TA’s input to protect it from MoCA signals.

p.s. I still recommend the rough diagram, to perhaps highlight other sub-optimal connections or components.

fcfc2 and kpeters59 like this.
  18. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks for this. I do think the TiVo is connected through the TA pass-through port. I will investigate later today and remedy that if necessary.
    To all... thanks for all the help and encouragement here. I'm confident I can get this worked out.

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I've seen no mention of a PoE filter, which should be attached to the input of the "first" splitter, where the cable feeds into the house.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Another reason I was pining for a diagram.