Need Help with Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by slap1shot0, Jan 2, 2006.

1. slap1shot0

slap1shot0 New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    I figured I would enlist the help of the general public in trying to get my Tivo running properly. I recently received my Tivo as a gift and hooked it up today. However, I have encountered a few problems with the hookup. I would like to be able to record a program while watching another channel. My current component list is as follows: cable (no box), DVD, VCR, Tivo, and A/V receiver. I hooked up the system following the schematic (use of a 2 way splitter for the cable in order to record on channel while watching another) in the manual and added the vcr portion. When I attempt to use the tivo, I switch to video mode on the tv and can hear the audio, I just cant see the picture.

I do have it hooked up atm but can only use the tivo remote and I have to record only what I watch. I did notice that if i play a dvd, I switch to video mode on the tv, the dvd logo comes up but I can still hear the audio from whatever channel I have it on for the Tivo. I have to lower the sound completely on the tv in order to hear the sound coming from the receiver.

If anyone can point me in a direction for a schematic that is close to what components I have, I would be much appreciative, as I am not sure what else to do.

Thank You

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need to hook the DVD and TiVo to separate video inputs. Sometimes composite and S-video are shared, and people make the mistake of using both.

3. slap1shot0

slap1shot0 New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Thank you for the idea, I will give that a shot but I currently have the dvd hooked up through s video going directly into the tv and the tivo through composite also on the tv. doesnt that create a different input conenction?

I am thinking of just re-routing everything through the receiver and connecting an s video from the receiver to the tv. Maybe that will work. In case you havent noticed I am a novice at this.