Need help-what's dying/audio whine thru speakers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DPF, Jan 26, 2006.

1. DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    Alright, I've troubleshooted it down to the Tivo. Looking for any past experience here with what I may be looking at.

Intermittently I've had sound problems starting recently (within the last week). Channel does not matter. There is a high pitched whine or interference type noise coming out of the speakers (off the reciever, ProLogic 1). It goes with voices or other noise on the program. Like intereference over a walkie talkie, only maybe not quite that severe. It does seem to be getting worse.

I decided to troubleshoot tonight. Swapped sources, no whine. Ran audio cable straight from cable box (bypassing TiVo, but to same inputs on Reciever), no whine. Swapped cables from Tivo to reciever with new ones (I have plenty around), still whine. Alright, it must be the TiVo. Put everything back to original setup, got whine. Reboot the TiVo, whine/interference is gone.

Now this seems to have been an intermittent issue. At first I thought it was the cable service, not the case. Some recordings have the whine. Some do not.

Temp seems normal (47), not overheating, though it feels certainly warm.

Anybody have any clue as to what's dyin? What am I in for? Will the patient survive? Anyone been thru similar? Overheating/failing audio encoder? Is that even separate? Picture is fine.

One other note. I did have a lock up a couple weeks ago. Rebooted and it stuck on Welcome... Cycled power and it booted fine. I'm not sure but I think the sound issue happened after that episode. No previous issues, ever. Nothing. Has performed flawlessly.

140060 Series2 60 hour, with an added 120G "b" drive for about 219hrs total according to the info screen. On software 7.2.1 (no a yet)

Thanks in advance.
    Hopeful the little buggers not dyin on me
    -DPF

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Do a search in the "Tivo Help Forum" here for "kazoo audio". Not sure what causes it, but a reboot almost always cures it.

3. DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    Thanks, never thought of the "kazoo" reference, but it's a perfect description. I'll do a search right now.

-DPF