Need Help. Want Direct TV w/TIVO

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Godslaf, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Godslaf

Godslaf New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    After reading a lot of these posts, I'm enlightened and confused. I want to get a used Direct TV Dvr that is Tivo (because I have heard some horrible things about the R15). Will direct tv activate the dvr? Does anyone know if they are no longer activating Tivo services? I already have the service, so can I use my own access card?

I went to their website and searched TIVO which took me to their DVR (which I now know is not TIVO!) and their 2 year agreement.

What is this whole thing about a 3/1/06 deadline and leasing?

Please help!

2. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    Welcome to the site. You can purchase used Tivo units from ebay or other sites and DTV will still activate with the Tivo service. You may be able to use your own cards if they are current enough. You also may want to stay away from leasing- it is too new of program.
    I would suggest doing some reading of the many threads here before posting your own questions in respect for the rest of the members who most likely have already answered the questions that you are asking. It is a great site. Good luck!

3. Godslaf

Godslaf New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Thank you so much for your help. Already spent 1.5 hour reading threads last nite in an attempt to answer my questions. If anyone wants to provide me with the thread links that answer my questions, I would be grateful to them too!

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Don't believe all the horrible stuff you've heard about the R15.

5. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Doh!

Feb 20, 2006
    As was already said, you can go to weaknees;com and buy an R10, or a Philips or Samsung Series 2 directv/tivo unit. Those units will include an access card. I bought a couple of the Philips DSR708 units 2 weeks ago and activated them on Wed 3/1. No issues from D* on getting them activated - mine are NOT on the lease plan.

6. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    In my case, I bought two new Hughes SD-DVR80s (which are series 2 DirecTiVos) from Value Electronics in January and February and the same here, no problems at all, all are activated and in this all are configured for MRV (Multi-Room Viewing), oh the joy.