Need help 'waking' my Tivo up!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Athlex, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Athlex

Athlex New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have a Sony SVR-2000 that I was just given for christmas. Unit works great and I'm beginning to understand why Tivo users swear by 'em.

Anyway, I was digging through menu options and selected standby. Video output was disabled and everything seemed ok, but for some reason I can't bring the unit back up. I assume all I'd need to do is hit the power button on the remote, but it doesn't appear to work. In fact, neither the power button or 'tv power' buttons seem to work because they're the only buttons that don't make the red transmitter light come on. The other thing is that I believe the remote was previously reprogrammed to control a Sony TV in addition to the Tivo unit, so it could be the power button 'lost' its factory preset. Anyway, looks like two possible solutions-

1. Reset the remote to factory settings. I found info on Tivo's site for a global factory reset of the remote, unfortunately the button combo doesn't work for this one.

2. Somehow force the Tivo unit itself to return to some kind of default mode. If I pull the plug, the display comes back when it's booting up. Is there a button I can push on the remote to force it not to slip into standby mode? Maybe a serial console trick?

Thanks in advance!
    /atx

2. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    This is going to sound dumb, but the first thing you should do is make sure you have really fresh batteries in your remote. Sony remotes seem to be especially persnickety that way.

Once you put your Sony into standby, if you reboot, it remembers it was in standby and goes back into that mode, so simply rebooting will not help. I'm searching the archives to see if there was an answer to your question.

I found a thread in the archive where TCF forum member stevel posted a file to program a Pronto remote to act like the Sony remote:

The server load protection has kicked in, so I can't get to the other threads in the archive I wanted to look at, but try putting in new batteries and see if they will help.

A recent test showed that the new Energizer e2 batteries outperformed all other batteries by a whopping margin for devices like digital cameras, PDAs, and other electronic devices like that, so I'm going to be switching to those for my remotes the next time I change the batteries out.

Hope this helps.

Jan

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Press the power button on the remote, or the Tivo button.

4. Athlex

Athlex New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanks for the input Jan. It so happens that this remote is loaded up with energizer e2 batteries already. :) It was also working just fine before I put the tivo in standby mode from the menu. I do have a universal/learning remote from my receiver (Yamaha RX-V750), but unfortunately the remote doesn't have any built in DVR codes. I do think I have a Sony VCR remote buried somewhere, I'll see if that helps too.

classicsat: tried 'em.

5. Athlex

Athlex New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Advertisements

quick update-
    I found Sony's KDB for the SVR-2000 and its remote (can't post URL since I'm new) and the reset procedure for the remote is pretty simple.
    1. Remove batteries
    2. Press each button twice (to drain charge I guess)
    3. Reinsert batteries and use

Looks like both power buttons as well as the 'List' and 'Guide' buttons are dead. (arg)
    Anyone else have any ideas?

6. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    You can buy a replacement remote from sony here . It's not cheap (~$35) but probably your best option. Search for "SVR2000".

BTW, TiVo button DOES NOT turn SVR2000 back on, only power button does.

7. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Yes, but even if it was 'working fine' before, try NEW batteries.

I also can report that when the TiVo is busy indexing or doing something, it can (seemingly) stop responding to the remote. Then all of a sudden, when it's done, all the remote commands you gave it get executed blam blam blam blam. :eek: So sometimes when the remote appears 'dead' it can be 'fixed' simply by waiting an hour or so.

Hope you can find a solution.

Jan