Need help w/ Used TiVo setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by momto2, Feb 10, 2006.

1. momto2

momto2 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    I just received an old Phillips TiVo unit with a defective modem. All I got was the unit itself, the remote, and the power cord. The unit does have a lifetime membership on it & is running version 2.5(??).

I am new to TiVo and not incredibly tech-savvy. I have an external modem to use for the initial setup, but don't know what cords I need, how to set up the unit, and then how to connect it to my wireless network.

Can someone help me? Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    See here for external modem connection info. For wireless, you'll need an AirNET adapter.

I suggest you hold off on the network bit for now. Make sure that the TiVo works properly.

What are the first three digits of the TiVo Service Number (on the back of the unit)?

Setup is pretty simple - you connect your chosen signal source to one of the inputs (RF, composite or S-Video) and connect one of the outputs to your TV. Then you run Guided Setup to configure it.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need V3 to use the external modem, at least. You might just want to get a 3.0 image and update it manually, by re-imaging the drive.

4. momto2

momto2 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    I have no idea what any of that means. What is a V3? We have tried so many configurations & can't seem to get it to work. Ultimately, we want to connect to our surround sound system & send TiVo through the VCR.

We are completely lost, and my husband is ready to smash the unit to bits. Any help would be appreciated so much!!

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

You said this tivo was running v2.5 but you need v3.0 to use an external modem.

Your options are to either purchase an "upgrade" hard drive for your particular Tivo which will have software v3.0 or you need to get a copy of v3.0 to put on the xisting (or any) hard drive that you have. PTVupgrade's Instantcake is one option to get the correct software version.