Need help updating my Pioneer Tivo unit

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by BuddyC, Jul 17, 2009.

1. BuddyC

BuddyC New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Advertisements

I just got a Pioneer Elite 57H unit. I do not have home phone service, we just use cell phones now. I do have cable internet and a wired router, not WiFi. The Elite only has a USB port on back, not standard ethernet port. Now I know I can do things like take the DVR over to a friends house who has phone service for updates, but will this unit allow my to connect a USB to female ethernet adapter dongle and then run an ethernet cord from the dongle to my router for the updates? Or will that type of adapter not transfer data that way and I MUST purchase a wireless adapter for the Elite's USB port and also setup a wireless network in my house OR get phone service just to get updates? I can't understand why I couldn't just use a dongle to convert the USB port, but a guy at Best Buy(over the phone) told me that he didn't think it could work that way.

BTW, what is your opinion of the now older Elite 57H? It apparently only connects your digital cable box to the DVR via S-video, plus it's not HD ready. I got a great deal on this unit, $30 without remote. Would I be better off selling it for about $275 on Ebay and getting a newer DVR/DVD burner unit and which one is the best deal for the price? Can I use any universal remote with a DVR unit?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    As a self proclaimed Pioneer TiVo expert, I say:

Yes, wired USB to ethernet adapters are available that will work with the Pioneer DVR-57H. Look here for the compatible ones. I have used the Linksys USB200M (all versions), the D-Link DUB-E100, and some others with great success. I have even been able to do the initial guided setup using the special dialing code (,#401) with the Linksys USB200M ver. 1.

These adapters replace the need for a phone line. Go to Message and Settings -> Settings -> Phone and Network. Then plug in your USB-to-ethernet adapter. Also plug in a ethernet cable to the adapter and your router. You should see it attempt to get an IP address. If it doesn't get one correctly (i.e. 169.254.x.x), then you will have to tinker a little. Choose the "Configure network adapter" and follow the prompts to connect to your router. Once you get an IP address, you should be able to get updates with no problems.

You will also need to set the TiVo to use the network adapter instead of the phone line. This is done in Messages and Settings -> Settings -> Phone and Network -> Use network.

Regarding the Pioneer DVR-57H. This is an excellent TiVo. I have several myself and love them. They are the 2xx series TiVo, so they are relatively quick and have good MPEG encoders, so the video is not too "fuzzy". The 5xx series TiVos are a little fuzzy in my opinion. Enjoy your purchase.

Good luck,
    robomeister

3. BuddyC

BuddyC New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks robomeister. I haven't even hooked the unit up yet, but is it true that the only way to connect my cable box to the dvr is by S-video? I heard it degrades the picture compared to component. Also, will basically any universal remote program and control this particular unit well? If not, where can I get a replacement?

One more thing - I saw this message about the adapters:

"Some adapters require an updated version of TiVo software. If you just purchased your DVR or received it as a replacement through an exchange, you may need to update the software on the DVR before you can use a certain adapter. Go to TiVo software version information to find the "shipping" and current versions of software for your DVR, and instructions on how to update the software on your DVR, if necessary."

Do the adapters you mentioned as well as most of the ones listed as compatible not require a software update?

4. jlac839

jlac839 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    On the 57H the highest quality input is the S-Video connection. Otherwise you have to use the composite inputs. The component connections are output only.

How you connect it to your cable box really depends on what outputs it provides - if it has s-video that would be best available for the 57H.

The ability to perform guided setup over the network using the special dialling code (,#401) has been available for several releases. Unless the unit has not been updated for a long time you should be able to do this.

Obviously your Tivo must be connected to your home network first. Instructions here: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/407/kw/special%20dialing code/r_id/100041#wired

Then follow the instructions at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75

If you don't see the network option then you may still be able to use the special dialing code method where you follow the instructions for phone but "fool" the Tivo into using the network.

You could get a replacement remote control from Dvrupgrade or Weaknees:
    http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/access_tivo_nomodel.cfm

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-remote-finder.php

If you can't get the network options to work because the version of s/w on the Tivo is so old then probably you'll have to go the phone line route. Alternatively you could purchase a copy of InstantCake from Dvrupgrade and go through the rigmarole of updating the s/w manually via a PC. Probably more hassle than you want but still an available option. Another option would be to buy a upgrade disk drive from Dvrupgrade or Weaknees which would have the latest s/w already on it. Finally, you could send the unit into one of these companies and have them do the upgrade for you. Each option costs more of course!

5. BuddyC

BuddyC New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Advertisements

Thanks for all you help and advice - much appreciated.

6. Smallvilleclike

Smallvilleclike New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I don't know how to update.

7. BuddyC

BuddyC New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ok here is where I am at. I tried to update via ethernet and everything was going smoothly. It was on basically the last step loading the data and got to at least 80% - I walked away, came back, and saw it had stopped and an error message came up - can't remember exactly but I am pretty sure it was the S03 code.

Tried again a couple times and it would stop at an earlier percentage. I also noticed that when navigating the menu screens, sometimes I would get pauses or freze ups when flipping back and forth between menu screens. I tried the clear and delete everything procedure and let it run for 72 hours and it never stopped the procedure so I finally unplugged and replugged. I even let it sit unplugged for close to an hour and every time I replug the unit, it powers up and then goes right back into the clear/delete everything mode.

Can anyone tell me how to cancel this mode and get back to the regular Tivo Central screens?

I know many will say it's the hard drive and it might be, but I have seen other say that a kick start or Instant Cake made their unit operate like new. Can anyone, robomeister or others, please give me some advice on options I have other that a new drive? It may be the drive, but if there are other methods to check if it really is the hard drive and methods to possibly fix my issues, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

8. timtofly

timtofly New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I am the owner of 3 810-h. Is it possible to ftp with these? I like to put 4 one hour programs on one dvd. Sometimes they can get jumbled around time wise. It would be nice to be able to swap these programs to just one unit, and then burn the DVD. It would also avoid having to put in a larger Hard Drive, since "storing" the files would be more versital.

One more question. The PQ of my oldest one seems to be getting worse and there is a bad spot on the drive. Will upgrading the drive help these problems? Can I add FTP before to save my files?

Thanks for any help.

9. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Only three??? :)

If I understand your question, you want to be able to transfer shows to one Pioneer and burn everything to one disc on that Pioneer. Unfortunately, that is not possible. The Pioneers, along with the Toshiba and Humax DVD writer models, will not burn any shows that have been transferred, no matter how they have been transferred.

To answer your question directly, it is not possible to FTP shows. You can "log in" to each TiVo and transfer the shows to your PC using the simple interface built into every Series 2 and Series 3 TiVo. You will need the MAK (Media Access Key) to use as your password. I can't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head. But search for log in to my tivo.

There are also third party programs you can use to transfer shows. Check out the TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo forum on this site.

Good luck,
    robomeister

10. timtofly

timtofly New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Since upgrading my 810H from 80 to 320 gig hard drive, the "freeze" has gone away. MHO is that there was a bad spot on the hard drive that when recording there, it would cause a hiccup and freeze the unit. Sometimes I think a TV show would cover this spot up, and the unit would be fine, until I deleted the show and then it would do it continuously (freezing) until the next show would cover over the spot. I cannot confirm, but in recording to the DVD, there were some shows that would just not copy. I think that these shows may have been on the glitchy spot of the hard drive. these drives are what 5+ years old now, and showing signs of wear.

11. epcostello

epcostello New Member

May 19, 2002
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have a 5+ year old S2 Pioneer DVD burner tivo (I think the 810h?) which was powered off and in storage for over two years. When I try to update the program guide information I get the dreaded S03 error message. I redid guided setup and it loaded approximately a day's worth of correct program information but won't load any further guide information, with the S03 message again.

The tivo is connected to broadband using a tivo brand wifi adapter plugged into the USB port.

Any advice?