Need help transferring recordings from TiVo to TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Steve Smith, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

Jan 13, 2017

Advertisements

I need to transfer recordings from a Suddenlink TiVo, model #TCD750500 to an identical TiVo. How can I do this? The TiVo that has the recordings no longer boots, possibly due to a faulty HDD and I understand It’s possible that HDD will not be readable but I’d like to try to to see if I can get at the recordings.

Can I attach the hard drives from each TIVO to a computer and boot with a CD and then simply copy the programs from one HDD to the other? If so, please let me know what CD to use and exactly how to accomplish this. Thanks so much.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The contents of a Tivo are not readable via any computer except for a few certain programs. Its also encrypted by the Tivo's TSN which means its only readable by the Tivo that recorded it.

MFSTools is the programs to use, but its nearly a bit-by-bit copy, provided the drive is still readable and not damaged.

You can only copy Tivo-to-Tivo over the network while both are running in their own units, and subscribed to Tivo Service. NOTE: Premieres are no longer supported for activation, so unless it has lifetime, then it is considered junk.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. Please help me understand. I can use MFSTools to copy the drive(assuming it's readable) but I can not extract only the recordings and copy them to the other TiVo's drive. Is that correct? In that case, I'll try to copy the drive from the defective TiVo to a new drive and then install that drive in my working TiVO(replacing the drive that's in there). If it's successful, will the TiVo work as it did before? Both TiVos are the same model but I'm wondering if there is data on the original hard drive that is linked to that specific TiVo that would prevent a drive from another identical TiVo from working in it. I've already tried installing the drive from the non-working TiVo into the working TiVo but it didn't boot which leads me to believe the drive is faulty. I'm hoping even though it's faulty, that maybe I can still copy it or perhaps repair the installation after the copy process has completed. Any thoughts?

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That won't work.

The recordings are only 'usable ' for the TiVo they were recorded on or 'properly' transferred to.

-KP

5. BrokerDon

BrokerDon New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Newport...

Advertisements

We transfer our TiVo recordings between our 2 Premiere XL 1000 hr TiVos using our TiVo Stream... all connected via Cat5e Ethernet via Gigabit Ethernet switches & router. Works great!

We also transfer our TiVo recordings from our 2 TiVo Premiere XLs to my iPad using our TiVo Stream.

Not fast but it works!