Need Help: Toshiba RS-TX20 and Parental Controls

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Phillip Chapman, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Phillip Chapman

Phillip Chapman New Member

Sep 9, 2003

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba RS-TX20 and inadvertently the parental controls appear to have been set on my unit and I have no idea what they are. This was discovered when trying to burn a DVD today.

I then tried doing a "clear and delete" to reset the system but once again, the four digit parental controls were requested.

I then attempted to create an account at Tivo to contact customer support and their system says the serial number is invalid. I'm assuming that's since the unit was bought in 2005.

If anyone has any advice to get this working it would be most appreciated.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you tried calling Tivo customer service on the telephone?

Have you tried looking up this issue in the manual?

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Clear and delete should have removed the code. Also, you have to enter the TSN from the back of the unit. It should start with 565.

http://www.tivopedia.com/tivo-service-number.php

Does this box have paid service? Monthly or real lifetime? Theses boxes come with basic service but TiVo won't allow you to create an account with that. At least I don't think that they do.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Pretty sure it has been established that the "locked" drive will not allow a "Clear and Delete Everything" without the password being entered. It will ask for the password when that option is selected.

Tivo customer service knows how to handle this. Normally, there is no support from Tivo on these Toshiba/Pioneer boxes for hardware matters. But since this is strictly a Tivo service issue, they should allow a password reset.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas

Advertisements

Oh, yeah that is right. Ok, then they could also re-image it too (if Tivo support is of no help).

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks like contacting Tivo Customer Service is the only option(besides reimaging the drive).

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/180/kw/forgot password

"I forgot my TiVo KidZone or Parental Controls password

In order to protect your privacy and your control over this feature, you will need to call Customer Support to reset your password."

7. Phillip Chapman

Phillip Chapman New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I contacted support by phone and because the unit has Tivo Basic (and not the full service), they were not able to supply a parental reset code. They said the only way to get a reset code was to sign up for Tivo Plus, get the code and then cancel.

8. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I remembering that there was a thread on how to get around the parental lock being on. but I haven't found it so far.

9. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    ************.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41496
    put the dealdata base where the ***** are. without the space between 'data' and 'base'