Need Help TiVo to Zen 30!

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by NPRGuy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. NPRGuy

NPRGuy New Member

Aug 28, 2007

Advertisements

I'm new to TiVo and new to this forum. All I want to do is transfer a few shows from TiVo-to-go to my Creative Zen 30:M. I bought the TiVo to go Deluxe thinking that would help. The shows have all transfered from the TiVo boxes to my PC. Getting them to the Zen is the problem. I know I'm supposed to do some "encoding" or something along the way. Any help would be appreciated. I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and would like some in-flight entertainment.

Thanks in advance! John

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    All you have to do is tell TiVo Desktop to add the file to your Windows Media Library

The Zen software will then do any conversions required during the sync process.

3. NPRGuy

NPRGuy New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks, Buddy! That's simple enough. I'll try it. I called TiVo, they said I needed to buy Roxio as a go-between. I'll try your suggestion first. Thanks again!

4. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I bought Roxio Suite today instead of getting the Tivo To Go Plus. Easy Creator basic 9 came with my new pc and I am getting a portable media player. I was going to get Tivo To Go Plus for 25 bucks but I read about Roxio and if I upgraded to the suite I could convert my Tivo shows and burn to DVD from there. I don't really need to burn to DVD I just wanted to mainly convert for my new player but I paid 50 bucks to upgrade and it doesn't work. I get error messages one saying I need Tivo desktop 2.3 or higher and my Vista 32 bit has 2.3. I don't get it. I have to call Roxio tech support tomorrow. I may get the Creative Zen or the Archos 605 WiFi which comes out on 9/1.

Hope you got it to work cause I bought Roxio and it doesn't work. I will probably have to get a refund and go with the plus. Rose

5. MusicMama

MusicMama Member

Mar 6, 2005

Advertisements

The easiest way to get to the Zen:M is like this:
    1. Download TTG file(s) to your PC
    2. Start up DirectShowDump (freeware) - select the file(s) to convert and enter your password
    3. Start up PocketDivXEncoder (freeware) - select the file(s) and format in either single or batch mode
    4. Start up Windows Media Player and Sync the files.

You can substitute the $ 24.95 TivoDesktop Plus for the DSD and Encoder, but why spend $ 24.95 if you don't have to.

You can skip step 3 if you don't want too many videos on your Zen - step 3 creates a much smaller .avi file so you can fit LOTS of videos (approx 2 or 3 1-hr shows = 1GB of memory as .avi; 1 1-hr show = approx 1.5GB of memory as .mpg)

Good luck.

6. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks! Everyone talks about Direct Show Dump so I will get that to to the Tivo show thing then I can probably convert with Roxio. It's just Roxio was suppose to do the whole Tivo show without me having to use DSD and it doesn't so I may get my 50 bucks refunded.. I also was told I could sync the Archos which I chose over the Zen with windows media player to also convert the Tivo file right to the player. I am just waiting for the player to come available then I am ordering it. I guess I don't need plus your right thanks,

Rose