need help selecting a TIVO product

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by liquidly2001, Nov 18, 2011.

1. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I own an older Phillips PTV500 with lifetime TIVO subscription but I upgraded my Comcast cable subscription to digital (not HD) and the TIVO tuner is no longer compatible with this format. I am prepared to purchase another TIVO (preferably used) but am not sure if my lifetime subscription can be continued with another TIVO product. I also don't know what TIVO products will be compatible with my Comcast cable subscription and would like to know what I should be shopping for.

Please Help!

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Too bad your cable company doesn't include the analog channels as well as the digital. Anyway, you will likely not be able to transfer your lifetime to a new box. Only Tivos purchased before some very early date qualified for that. In order to do the digital channels on your cable, you would need a Series 3, Serties 3HD, Premiere, or the new Premiere Elite. You would also need at least one CableCard (the original Series 3 requires two CableCards). I suggest that you call your cable company and ask them about the rental cost of CableCards. You might want to mention that you are going to purchase a Tivo and ask if you will also need a Tuning Adapter. Maybe someone here who has Comcast can give you a better idea of what extra equipment might be needed. As for Tivos, check eBay if you want to find a used one. You can also check here for the eBay thread where people offer their older Tivos. If you have a Tivo account with your S1 registered, then you can ask Tivo about deals. I think their current deal for a Premiere is $99 plus either $14.95/month or $399 lifetime. By comparison, you can probably find an S3 or S3HD unit on eBay, with lifetime, for $300-$400.

3. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thank you for your advice. I may get a better deal by renting one of Comcasts DVR cable boxes in that case although I've really taken a liking to my old TIVO.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You can hook up a cable box to your current Tivo to access the digital channels.

5. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yes, I believe if I manually record on channel 3 of the TIVO, I can tune in the cable box to my desired channel but I won't be able to use all of the features on the TIVO. Is this my only option?

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    A cable box can be connected to a S1 Tivo via the composite input or Rf input and control the box via an IR emitter. Recordings can be made exactly the same way you always have and you do NOT lose features.
    This isn't anything new, this is what Tivo's have been designed to do since day one.

7. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I just tried through the RF and the TIVO tuner does not recognize ALL of the channels I have access to through my cable box. Comcast implemented a DIGITAL ENHANCEMENT and premium channels are blocked before the box. I can't program my recordings through the TIVO selection guide because most channels are unavailable and all I get is a blue screen!

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You have the RF going to the cable box first, and then to the Tivo, correct?

9. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    yes, that is correct....wall to cable box to TIVO to TV set. I've read on other posts that a TIVO with a "cable card" is required...or is that for HD (I don't have HD)??

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Your cable box will get you any channels you're paying for, and so the TiVo will be able to access them thru the box.

Any channels your box doesn't give you aren't yours to have, and we can't discuss ways to get them here. (Nor should we.)

In short, your current TiVo will be able to control a cable box (change channels on it), thus giving you access to all channels in your service package. This is what you should want, and this is what you can have.

Cable cards are for TiVos designed to use them (older TiVos aren't) and all the cards do is allow a TiVo to serve as its own cable box. Since your TiVo can control a box, it all works out the same way.

11. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Here's a thought-

Did you go thru guided setup and tell the TiVo it's now working with a cable box? If you haven't, no wonder you aren't getting all your channels.

PS
    The TiVo doesn't have to use the cable box's RF output. It can use the audio/video lines coming from the cable box, and thus get a better picture and stereo sound.

12. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Nice thought however,

My TIVO, (once again)Phillips model PTV500, doesn't allow that option and only operates for cable without a box thus I cannot "select" another option.

13. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I checked the PTV manual and there is instruction on using an IR interface cable which unfortunately I didn't aquire with the box so I have no idea if that would in fact work but looks hopefull.

14. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Doesn't allow WHAT option? Who are you replying to and what "option" are you saying isn't "allowed"? A/V inputs? Only the DirecTiVos would fall into that catagory, them and the newer TiVos that aren't meant to work with cable or satellite boxes. Controlling a cable box? Again, if it isn't a DirecTiVo and it's not a current TiVo with card slots, then it WILL work with a cable or satellite box.

I'm going to do some checking to find out just what your 500 is...

As for the IR blaster cable, you can get them, for example, thru www.weaknees.com . (Plenty of other sources too.)

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Was that lifetime subscription purchased on or before January 21, 2000?

Also, are you certain about that model number? Could it be PTV300?

Is there another number on the sticker on the back that starts with HDR?

Oh, there's only one "L" in Philips.

Series 1 stand alones can work with both cable boxes and satellite receivers.

They have jack on the back for cables that plug into serial ports (pre-USB 9 pin things) on some cable boxes (and maybe satellite receivers).

They have another jack on the back where you can plug in a cord with infrared-emitting LEDs to do the same thing to a cable box or satellite receiver channel changing wise as that unit's remote control would do.

And I understand there are supposedly 9 pin to USB adapters which will let you use the TiVo's serial port and appropriate cable to control some units which have USB ports.

16. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sorry, the label has such small print....it is a PTV300.

The subscription was purchased after that date.

My cable box only has jacks for RF, S-Video or composite video out, and an IR jack...no serial port.

I am wondering if the IR jack on the cable box is input or output.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Most likely output, but either way, it doesn't matter because it's not of any use to a Tivo.

18. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Tivo.com sells them for half the price that weaknees charges.

19. liquidly2001

liquidly2001 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks.

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Unless it is some custom model, it does have A/V in, an IR blaster out. The Series 1s such as yours even have an IR blaster built into the front panel, so an IR blaster cable may not be needed (but should be, for reliability). The A/V in is the single row of jacks just to the left of the RF tuner, looking at the back. The double row is the A/V out.

Yes, to use a cable box you repeat guided setup.