Need help playing files with Streambaby/Tivo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by atomarchio, May 1, 2011.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I have a 2GB AVI file and was trying to play via Streambaby and Premiere but it's running quite slow to the point where I had to push play button every few minutes.

Is the best option to getting faster steaming with Streambaby/Premiere to convert the AVI file to MP4?

I tried using Handbrake for this and it says file it's completed but I can't see the MP4 file anywhere. I did change the output directory to C:/Temp but there is no MP4 in there.

Any suggestions for faster Streaming with Streambaby? Is this a limitation of my LX195 Home Media Server or Strictly the Premiere? I am open to buying another one of the devices if that would help.

Just need some advice on how I can improve the streaming so I don't have to wait so long to play these larger files. (around 2GB)

Please let me know. Thank you.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Yes, converting to mp4 or mpeg2 will help with playback, but costs a little "upfront" time. Doing so will benefit later when you want to replay the videos. Right now, Stream Baby is transcoding on-the-fly, which is causing the pausing.

I wrote a (complicated?) batch program that converts most video files to proper mp4 format, using MediaInfo to gather "source" video and audio attributes, ffmpeg + x264 to do the actual transcoding. If you're interested, I could probably clean it up some and share it.

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Thanks for the offer but I was able to convert to MP4 using handbrake and that solved the problem.

Wish I could understand why some files slightly over 2GB pause the entire time with Streambaby while others just less than 2GB have played just fine with no interruption?

4. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Streambaby reuses the YouTube streaming interface inside the Tivo. This has a 1.1 GB buffer. When that buffer is reached Streambaby must clear the buffer and restart the buffer. This causes the pause/restart you are seeing.

Rick

5. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Is there way that I can "clear out" the buffer so my file will stream faster?

6. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Nope, the Tivo HD and Series 3 have pitiful networking speeds. However if you are streaming MP4 content it should stream much faster than it plays. HD Mpegs are just barely fast enough to keep up live, or slower than live.

TiVo Premiere's network is at least twice as fast as the older Tivo's so your buffer should fill up prior to having to pause.

If you are transcoding, ie not playing TiVo compatible MPegs or MP4s, then your streaming speed may have more to do with the CPU on your streambaby server.

Rick

7. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I took some "home video" with my Sony Camera in MP4 format. However, when I tried to play with Streambaby it was back to pausing every few seconds.

Then I converted with Handbrake but no improvement. Any ideas on what I can do with my MP4 video from the Sony Camcorder to get it streaming faster?

Is the a specific setting I should try on Handbrake when converting?

Please let me know. Thanks.