Need help on what exactly I need and setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Aqualoon, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    Have Mediacom 1GB service with Tivo. Been having connection issues with Mediacom since moving in almost 3 years ago. Dozens of techs have been out, equipment has been swapped out multiple times and I'm just going to get all my own equipment because at this point it can't hurt. Right now I'm using Mediacom's equipment, which is a modem/router combo box with built in MoCa.

My confusion comes from this whole MoCa thing, these forums have been great and I now have a better understanding of how to set it up. I still have questions on exactly what I need and how many, or if I even need more than one? I read somethings that make me think I just need one for the entire network, then I read something else and it seems that I need one for each TV? But there isn't Ethernet cable access next to every TV, so I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to work if I do need several.

The cable comes into the house into a closet on the lower level, there are 7 TVs in the house on multiple levels. 2 of those have a larger box and the other 5 are on mini boxes.

Do I need a MoCa box, adapter or bridge? Or are they all the same thing? On a help thread on these forums I saw a bunch of these things linked and came across a TiVo Renewed Bridge, is this essentially all I need?

Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You didn't mention what model Tivo you have.

Some have MoCa capability.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    All the Minis (to the best of my knowledge) have built-in MoCA capabilities, so no need for any other MoCA device at any of those 5 locations. We must know what models of TiVo the two "larger" boxes are before we can really help you.

Your entire interconnected coax network needs one, and ONLY ONE, MoCA Bridge. If your router has a MoCA bridge built in and enabled, then you must not set up another MoCA BRIDGE anywhere. If your two TiVo DVR boxes have built-in MoCA capability, then you need NOTHING else except for a singe MoCA POE filter (and you might not even need that filter if your router has it built-in also). If Midiacom set up your router as a MoCA Bridge, they they should have known if you needed that POE filter and installed it already.

If either of your TiVo DVRs do not have built-in MoCA capability, then you will need a separate stand-alone MoCA adapter at that box to connect it to a MoCA network.

Frankly, your MoCA setup as you have described it should be pretty simple, so if you have INTERMITTENT MoCA connection problems (which I assume, since you have lived with this for 3 years), then it is totally unlikely that replacing any "equipment" is going to help you at all. In that case, I'd predict that all of your problems are caused by some combination of bad coax connections or incompatible splitters or amplifiers in your cable plant. Seven cable drops is usually fairly complicated with multiple interconnections and splitters, so I'd suggest you start with testing just two devices (probably one DVR and one Mini). If those two devices work properly and interconnect reliably on the MoCA network, then ALL devices will work the same way unless something is bad in the cable plant.

The other big possibility is that you have incorrect network configuration, possibly including multiple MoCA bridges enabled or maybe even multiple DHCP serviers handing out IP addresses. If it is a network configuration issue, then once again, replacing any equipment is not going to help you at all. That is just another reason why you should start testing simply with just one device added to your network at a time. Disconnect everything and start fresh, then tell us EXACTLY what problems you are seeing.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    This statement implies that you do have Ethernet connections available at SOME TVs, so I thought I would add this comment:

Your TiVo devices do not ALL have to be on the same type of connection; Ethernet connected and MoCA connected devices will play together just fine. So if you do have Ethernet connections available at SOME TVs, I'd suggest you connect all of those devices via Ethernet and, to the extent possible, verify they all work fine that way before you start testing MoCA devices. Also note that any TiVo that has both a cable and Ethernet connection will default to using Ethernet unless it is specifically configured to use MoCA (and generally that requires the Ethernet connection to be removed!).

Also remember that whatever device is set up as your MoCA Bridge must have BOTH Ethernet and coax connections. Obviously this is not an issue if your router is your MoCA bridge, but IF you want to use a TiVo DVR as a MoCA Bridge, that DVR MUST have both connections.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  5. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    I should have checked this thread over the weekend, just those seem to go way too fast.

To answer (or not answer) the questions, I have no idea what model the larger boxes are - one the main reasons why I wish I would have checked this thread over the weekend. When a larger box does go down for whatever reason, some of the minis will also go down.

The router I am getting will not have MoCA capabilities, and the only thing I need MoCA for is the TiVo boxes, every other device will be using WiFi. Sadly the Mediacom tech didn't really give much for specifics, just that since the modem/router I am currently renting has MoCA and if I get my own equipment then I'll need it.

From reading the responses, it sounds like V7 is spot on that what I need looks to be rather simple verse people who use/need MoCA for getting internet on other devices throughout the house. Any suggestions for what I should be getting on the equipment side of things? I was looking at the Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02).

Also thanks for all the responses. Reading through articles and youtube videos has been helpful, but I've only come across setting up a MoCA network and how to do that, which has given me a greater understanding of MoCA as a whole.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'd think that 'IF' Mediacom has issues with their equipment that you could certainly expect similar issues in a DIY attempt. I believe you rethink everything including your hardware, cabling etc. I'd think you need to post up TiVo box info and exactly how you expect that each one is connected to your network presently.

See post #3 and do nothing until you actually understand what issues you actually have.

7. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    The issues I'm having aren't with the TiVo boxes or with anything TV related - actually I have never had TiVo/TV issues during this time. The issues I'm having is with Mediacom's internet service over WiFi (and actually even when directly wired into their router as I moved a small TV and PS4 into the closet to game at night and even then the connection drops/is extremely slow).

As mentioned I am currently using one of their modem/router combo boxes and throughout the day the signal will just drop completely or be so slow that it might as well have dropped. This has been happening for years, have had so many techs come out that I can't count. They have replaced their equipment several times and nothing has changed. I'll have one tech tell me that if I got my own equipment they couldn't help out as much because they can only work on their own equipment. Yet another tech will tell me that I should get my own equipment because theirs is so old and used that even when they swap it out, the "new" equipment will be the same.

At this point I figure I might as well try getting my own equipment because it couldn't be any worse.

8. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    This is not true, you always need a POE filter for 2 reasons. First it reflects the signal back through your splitters since splitters tend to not allow the branches to talk to eachother (Apparently MoCA splitters do allow so crosstalk on the MoCA frequencies) and also just as important it prevents your signal from going out and interfering with the rest of the cable network or broadcasting your tivo to your neighbors.

9. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    What brand & model # of the Mediacom device? I'd think knowing that it would be much easier for a 'knowledgeable' person here to help you!! All else until that is 'known' I'd say is 'FOOLISH!!!

I'd think there's likely a label!!

Mention your location also I'd think could help! There's very likely a user that has similar 1G service and could comment to his 'equipment list'!

10. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I have a Mediacom supplied modem/router/phone connection/MoCa bridge. I tried to use it for several months as my primary router, but it was double NATing, adding more SSIDs to what I already have in place, and the MoCa just did not provide enough speed for one of my Minis. I had to ask Mediacom to "baseline" the modem so that it acts as a modem/phone connection only.

11. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm going to head on home for lunch to get what brand/model the large boxes are. I want to try to get the equipment ordered today as I have another tech coming out later on this week for yet another try at figuring out why the internet is total crap.

12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Don't forget to get the info of the Mediacom equipment!! That I believe is as important (maybe more) as the TiVo boxes. poster #10 doesn't help much except to mention he did have issues! I don't understand why no one seems to mention all of what might be relevant!

When they ask for make - model for auto parts do you just mention it's RED???

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  13. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    Current equipment is the following:

Modem/Router: Arris TG3452
    Large Boxes: Arris DCX900
    Mini Boxes: DMR IPH3004HDM

Here is what I was looking to buy:

Modem: Netgear CM1200
    Router: Netgear AC4000

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  14. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The TG3452 is on the "bad modems" list, so that might be the cause of the issues you've been having.

Although I'm not intimately familiar with the DCX900, I believe it can be configured as a MoCA bridge, if either of them is in a room that also has hard-wired ethernet. If neither has access to wired ethernet, you will need a MoCA adapter, such as the TiVo Renewed Bridge that you cite in your original post. Another popular MoCA adapter is the Motorolla MM1000, which is $70 whether to buy it at Amazon, Newegg or Best Buy.

You will also want a MoCA PoE filter, and depending on exactly how all of your coax is connected, you may need another splitter.

15. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for the reply, so I just need the 1 adapter? Wouldn't Mediacom already have a MoCA PoE Filter installed?

And sadly, I have no input on what Mediacom uses for their own modem/router which is why I want to buy my own.

16. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Why wouldn't you consider a call to ask Mediacom for suggestions? With your service history I'd think they'd be 'THRILLED' to help you resolve the issues!!

17. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm unsure if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not. I mean, it sounds like it but it's difficult to convey that through text. If it wasn't then you are grossly overestimating Mediacom's willingness or ability to actually provide help. Which is why I haven't been able to get reliable internet at this location for years and have had constantly the same problem.

It is also exactly why I created an account and posted here, to ask other people as I wouldn't trust anything a Mediacom rep would tell me.

18. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

NO SARCASM!!! I would likely have asked them for some help a very long time ago!! I've always used my own equipment! Always!

There's no one in your local vicinity that might have had similar experience and might help? You've still not mentioned 'location'!

What are your equipment fees from them?

https://www.cogeco.ca/web/resources/pdf/support/user_guides/tv/Arris_DCC900_User_Guide.pdf

https://mediacomcc.custhelp.com/euf/assets/documents/video_equip_user_guides/eBOX_spec_sheet.pdf

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You will learn who is who after a while (All caps and exclamation points are a clue:)). Good choice for router. Ugly. I used one for a year then went with the R8300 since it looked nicer. No experience with the modem. I use a SB8200 which works well, but my cable company is just now starting with DC 3.1 and don't even have it on the upstream yet.

WVZR1 likes this.
  20. Aqualoon

Aqualoon New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    Equipment Fees: I don't know off the top of my head, buying my own modem, router and moca adapter/bridge/etc isn't about saving money but getting something that will fix my internet issues.