Need help on HD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Arty, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Arty

Arty New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I'm new, this is my first post ever, I need some help.

I have Direct TV. I've had it for years. Both the wife and I love it.

We also Tivo, Duh, have an old Direct TV box with Tivo.

So, I'm getting a HD TV in August. Call up Direct TV to get the new HD rig and Tivo is not an option from DTV. They did say I could go to Best Buy and buy a Tivo and hock it up.

Now, is it true that Tivo HD does not work with Satellite? I’ll have HD TV, but I can’t record any HD content off Direct TV using a Tivo?

I hate cable more than anything, but the wife says no Tivo no deal.

Help!

Do I have any options?

2. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    No joy Best Buy. The only DirecTV HiDef with Tivo is the model HR10-250 and you'd have to find one from a non-standard source like eBay.

There are pluses and minuses to the HR10-250 (complicated, you should read all opinions, trying to weed out biased people like me). I think it's great for some who want to hold onto DirecTV, because it fits the needs of so many people I know, but there are contrary opinions from many who think Tivo is dead.

Beyond DirecTV, a company I believe is _really_ dead in the water unless saved by new ownership (the old ownership unloading it called it a "turd bird"): Tivo HiDef with Cable (or FIOS if the gods favor you) is the most practical HiDef soiution today. But you have to be able to stomach an account with Cable, and have content from your local Cable that is satisfactory in scope for your interests. Keeping in mind that you have and will have other sources of HiDef or near HiDef content in the future.

Whatever you decide, make sure you look at the new Tivo HD in the process.

3. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    The HR10-250 model is MPEG2 HD, which will, if the speculation/reports here are correct, be phased out over the next 2-3 years in favor of the newer MPEG4 HD

The receiver for that is the HR20 (I think is the model) discussed at
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Arty didn't mention his location. He may have a lot of OTA available which the HR10 will record. Unless he needs all of the future HD that DirecTV will be delivering, the HR10 could be a good near term solution.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yup, the TiVoHD (and Series 3 Classic) won't do satellite.
    You mus choose either not DirecTV but a service the TiVo HD works on, TiVo and SD from DriecTV, or DirecTV, HD, and their non-TiVo DVR for the MPEG4 HD channels.

6. Arty

Arty New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Sorry, I live in southern California just north of L.A.

And, our cable company sucks!