Need help on adding Mini to existing Roamio OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by kilauea3510, Jun 5, 2016.

1. kilauea3510

kilauea3510 New Member

Jun 5, 2016

Advertisements

I have two HDTVs that I'd like to have TiVO. Currently I have Roamio OTA on one TV and that Roamio uses Wifi. For the second TV, I need a Mini but how to install the bridge to create the MOCA network?

Attached Files:

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Looks good except you need to add a Moca adapter (bridge) between the splitter and Roamio since the Roamio OTA has no Moca of its own. You'll also need another splitter or diplexer to connect coax to both the bridge and the Roamio.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  3. kilauea3510

kilauea3510 New Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Thank you for the reply.... incorporating a second bridge would look like this? (diagram)

Attached Files:

4. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    That last diagram looks good.

The first diagram I was saying:

[Bridge]
    Excuse me
    Oh will you excuse me
    I'm just trying to find the bridge... Has anybody seen the bridge?
    (Have you seen the bridge?)
    I haven't seen the bridge!

[Outro]
    Where's that confounded bridge?

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

One last comment. 3 way splitters are usually what's called unbalanced (as my wife says about me). So one port will have lower loss than the others (-3.5dB typically). Use that port for the Roamio drop for the best signal.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    For example, consider the two 3-way "MoCA" splitters, from Holland Electronics, available via TechToolSupply.com, here:
    That the second product is explicitly labeled "Balanced" underscores mdavej's point that the usual 3-way splitter is of the "unbalanced" variety -- though it would always be wise to check the specs.

7. kilauea3510

kilauea3510 New Member

Jun 5, 2016
    The 3-way splitter I got was of the unbalanced type and the outputs were clearly labeled so it was easy to set up the lower loss port for the Roamio drop. I set up the network per the diagram and it's been working great! It's been working so well that I added an ethernet switch at the Roamio so that I could add other devices to network: PoE camera, FireTV and Xbox. Thanks for all the reviews and comments!

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Updated diagram looks good, so my only feedback is nitpicky and/or unnecessary...

• Diagram indicates use of the "TiVo Bridge" MoCA 2.0 adapter, which is overkill for establishing MoCA connectivity for only a Roamio OTA and Mini, which are limited to Fast Ethernet and MoCA 1.1, respectively.

• Might consider earlier MoCA 1.1 adapters (e.g. eBay search for ECB2500C variations), if cost difference makes it worthwhile. (The introduction of the TiVO Bridge came with one big downside, the removal of the Actiontec MoCA 1.1 adapters from TiVo's online store, which had previously been their cheapest source.)

• At Roamio OTA, the MoCA adapter could be connected to a network switch, to allow the Roamio OTA and any other network devices present to establish wired network connections. (This configuration might be where having the TiVo Bridge MoCA 2.0 adapter would be an advantage.)

• Splitters should be MoCA-compatible, of course

edit: p.s. errrrr.... nevermind. ;)