Need Help In Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dldugan, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dldugan

dldugan New Member

Jun 1, 2016

Advertisements

I have DirecTV for $204 a month, Metronet (fiber) with basic channels, Amazon Prime for shipping, Netflix, an Apple TV, a ROKU and a Slingbox. I am looking for the best way to reduce my cost by a couple thousand a year. I will keep my Internet with Metronet at 200 mbps and upgrade to 1000 mbps if needed. Since Metronet is fiber they do not provide a TIVO card. I do have XFINITY available.

It is a little confusing exactly what a TIVO can record. I am willing to subscribe to services like HULU, CBS and HBO direct, but what exactly will TIVO record? The only over the air TV service available that would be good quality is a local CBS station.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    No TiVo model will record streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.) or Satellite-received videos. No current TiVo models will record OTA and cable channels simultaneously. The Roamio basic model can be configured to receive (and record) either OTA or cable channels but not both at the same time. Older TiVo models (S3, HD and Premiere) can tune OTA and cable simultaneously but TiVo will not start new subscription service on the S3 or HD models.

BTW, no TiVo does much of anything useful without a subscription.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    As noted, Tivo won't record anything streaming.

If you can keep up on your shows (5 episodes back at most) then Hulu will take care of all your OTA network needs except CBS. If you're able to get CBS at least OTA with your antenna then Tivo can record that and that'll save you the cost of CBS All Access but obviously you can sub to that as well if needed.

"Cable" shows you can stream a lot of those too depending on what you watch. Either Sling TV or Vue will get you a lot of them streaming live and with VOD for most of them for a "cloud DVR" of sorts. Both are still new of course. With Vue you can log into most channel apps and get shows on demand.

Amazon Prime and/or Netflix can get you much of that as well either buying them VOD (Amazon) or waiting until the following season goes live to get the older season up for streaming.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Vue is by far the best alternative to cable/satellite right now. You may want to consider a bigger antenna so you can pull in more OTA for your TiVo.

5. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC

Advertisements

I would be helpful to know what you like to watch. The big question is, do you watch (or expect to continue to want to watch) sports, and, if so, which ones?

6. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    The cheapest route MAY be to stay with your current internet service (200 Mbps is very fast, you likely won't see any benefit from upgrading to faster service) plus a few streaming video services, without having any live subscription TV package.

If you like to watch current season shows from NBC, Fox, ABC, and The CW, get Hulu. (Some shows are limited to the past five episodes but almost all of the shows I like have the entire series back to episode 1 available on Hulu.) Hulu is $8/mo with ads that you can't skip or $12/mo with no ads.

Sounds like you already have Netflix ($10/mo) and Amazon Prime ($99/yr). CBS All Access is $6/mo and unfortunately includes ads that you can't skip. HBO Now is $15/mo. Showtime is $11/mo or can be added to either your Amazon Prime or Hulu subscriptions for an extra $9/mo. A lot of recent and older PBS content is available to stream for free in HD using the PBS app. Live 24/7 streaming news is available from the CBS News app. Connect an over-the-air antenna to your TV so that you can watch your local CBS station live (including their live local news). If you're like me, at that point, you have more quality TV choices available at any moment than you'll likely even take advantage of.

All of the streaming video services I mentioned above are available on Roku. All of them except Amazon are available on Apple TV. If you subscribed to all of them, you're looking at about $60/mo, although you may decide you don't need all of them or only want some of them for a couple months here and there.

If you are comfortable using a Roku or Apple TV to access entertainment, then you probably shouldn't even bother looking into getting a TiVo UNLESS you are also interested in getting a full cable TV package from Comcast/Xfinity so you can watch and record shows from channels like ESPN, CNN, Fox News, FX, Comedy Central, HGTV, Disney, etc. You would just have to call Comcast and check on pricing -- dealing with them is like dealing with a used car salesman. And they always have multiple offers going on if you bundle internet plus TV, etc.

7. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    It can be done.

Ditto

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Video streaming services only need 25mbps per stream MAX, and that's for 4k Netflix with a lot of extra padding built in. 200mbps is way more than you need for streaming.

I would look at a skinny bundle with Metronet's IPTV DVR. I didn't look at their pricing, but they probably have some pretty reasonable skinny bundles that would allow you get local channels and such much more cheaply than through DirecTV. You can probably add HBO to a skinny bundle if you want it, and get it through them.

It doesn't sound to me like a TiVo makes sense for you, given your limited OTA reception, and I'm guessing unless they're absolutely terrible, metronet probably provides a much higher quality picture than what Comcast does.

9. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    For $204/month, I assume you are subscribing to a LOT of channels and/or have a LOT of devices in your home. The first thing you need to do is evaluate your viewing habits to determine what you need out of your future state. Check this out: https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/getting-started/

Post a link to your tvfool.com report so we can see what you may be able to pull in. A TiVo would be limited to recording the stations you can pull in over the air (apparently cbs).

You need to figure out what you want before we can help. Check out Playon.tv. It can record Netflix, Prime, and other streaming media.