Need Help ID-ing Boot CD for SApper

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Sbmocp, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001

Advertisements

It's been a while since I last did this, so please forgive me.

I'm trying to run SApper on the drive from a TiVo HD 652 unit. I apparently created a boot CD about four years ago and used it on another 652 of mine. When the disc boots, it IDs itself as a "PTVUpgrade LBA46 Support Utility Disk version 4.04DD." I can do an ls-l and see a number of directories (listed as etc/, bin/, mfs-tools-2.0/ etc.) but no files in the root.

If I look at the disc in Windows 7, I can see the files I want to run (tweak.sh, sapper, rbautch_files.tgz, CUSTOM_KERNELS directory, etc.) but I don't see the same directories I see when booting under Linux.

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about (I feel like I'm missing something I should know here) and how I can boot from this disc to run the programs against the TiVo hard drive?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    What's the end goal? There has been a LOT of development since the Sapper days, and there's probably a much easier way to accomplish whatever you're trying to do.

3. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Basically, I'm trying to run the hack scripts to allow Telnet, install Linux command-line utilities, change the bash prompt...all the stuff that the SApper and enhancement script allowed.

In thinking about this, I believe I can describe the behavior better when I boot from the CD. It appears to be running in it's own environment, i.e. only allowing the user to see certain files and directories. I'd like to be able to dump out to a more 'standard' Linux environment that would allow me to run the SApper, tweaks, and enhancements without what the LBA48 boot environment would allow me to do. Trying to hit CTRL-C from the bash prompt, however, forces the machine to reboot.

4. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    OK. Hopefully someone with more experience along those lines will jump in (I thought the 652s were pretty much unhackable without at least a PROM mod).

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

I was thinking the same thing.

Scott

6. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    I've made some progress. First, to answer the question, yes: the unit has been PROM-modded. The SApper script asks whether or not that's the case before it will run.

I had to go looking for the original SApper instruction page, which is now MIA. I found it through Tivo_SApper . Once found, I read that I needed to boot from the CD with the TiVo HD connected to the PC. Did that. From the bash prompt I needed to enter

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom

and found the device wouldn't mount. It turns out the newer HP desktop PC I have was set in BIOS to AHCI mode. I set that parameter to IDE mode, and could see and mount the CD. However, the SApper program kept dying with an error after mounting the hard drive. I went back and looked at the boot messages, then saw the drive was detected but with a minus sign ( - ) in front of the disk drive's capacity figure. The disk capacity is too large for IDE mode to interpret it correctly.

Then I got an idea. Run the SApper against the original 160GB hard drive, install the hacks, then image with WinMFS and restore that to the 2TB drive. Nice idea, except...after hacking the original drive the TiVo seems hung at "Just a few minutes more..."

So I'm almost there but not quite. The SApper script was updated late in it's life to make allowances for installation in a TiVoHD, and makes some 'adjustments' as it installs based on the first 3 digits of the service number. Something;s not right, though...does anyone have an idea why the TiVo might hang at the "few minutes more" screen?

7. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Does the 160GB drive boot in the TiVo?

8. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    After the hacks are performed, no. I can restore the non-hacked image to the drive and it boots fine.

9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If you're really intent on making the SApper work that's fine, but there are more focused and up-to-date approaches at "the other place."

lrhorer has an excellent script that works fine as is but is so explicitly laid out that you can read it like a list of instructions and implement each step manually with a clear understanding of what you're doing and why (in case something goes wrong and you have to go back and review your work). Several other members, because of the recent need to be mucking with the HDs, have worked to even further simplify that script, and you can read their approaches and experiences.

Essentially you have a bunch of people over there who have come up with their own "one pagers" and while some are more clear and precise than others, the steps themselves are really so few and obvious that you can get a good grasp as to what needs to be done by just reading a couple of their lists.

Finally, since the "tools" to apply are individually so old and now-dispersed, you will see that a couple of members have assembled the most current versions of the files.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  10. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Wil, thanks for the pointer. I guess I'll go check them out.