Need help deciding on which Tivo to get

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Marquettedominos, May 5, 2010.

1. Marquettedominos

Marquettedominos New Member

May 3, 2010

Advertisements

Hello all.

I have been a customer with Time Warner cable for over 10 years now. We have 2 HDDVr's with them and pay around $100 a month just for basic and HD. Most of the shows we watch are on the local channels and have decided to cancel service as soon as we get 2 Tivos. I have installed a Winegard HD8200U and we get all of the digital stations according to tvfool.com.

As of right now I can get a Tivo Premiere for $649 shipped no tax with PLS. And from what I have seen S3 and HD's are going for between 450-550 with PLS. Am I better off getting the base model premiere's? We plan on using them for the netfix features also.

Any incite on why one is better than the other would be great.

2. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    The S3s are solid machines, but old technology at this point. It will also take 2 cable cards (either s-cards or m-cards) to fully activate. They do have the advantage of being able to use any e-sata external drive.

The HDs are the next-gen systems. I don't personally have one, but I'm told they're a bit slower than the S3s. Can use either 1 m-card or 2 s-cards. Must use Tivo's extender drive, unless you use something like Winmfs to hack them.

My S3s are running great, but I don't expect any more software upgrades to them. I bought the Premiere XL with lifetime and added the $39 3-yr service contract.

Both of the HD and S3s can have their internal drives expanded, but that ability has been severely limited on the Premiere.

I'd go with the Premiere as it's the system likely to see most of the new features.

3. denispelletier

denispelletier New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Cary, NC
    No need for cable cards if they ditch cable for OTA.

4. Marquettedominos

May 3, 2010
    Yep that's the plan. Gonna ditch cable and replace it with OTA, Netflix, Hulu, and whatever else I can find.

5. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Advertisements

No Hulu on TiVo :(
    Maybe someday...

6. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Hmm...OTA only...S3 becomes much more of a player as it will do Netflix.

But I wouldn't expect much development of new stuff.

7. Marquettedominos

May 3, 2010
    I will probably end up getting a new premiere with PLS. As I can get it for under 625 for a new subscription.

8. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I went with the TPXL and OTA and I love it, but honestly with the ability to transfer shows to the PC, there really wasn't much use for the XL. I do love the remote, and I am a sucker for the THX even though I think it does nothing. But if I was to buy a second S4, I would just get a TP. And I have lifetime as well. With the combination of TiVo and Netflix and AVOD, I have waaaaaaay more shows than I will ever be able to watch.

9. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    TiVo Premiere with product lifetime service is an excellent choice! Dump cable for over the air HDTV plus Netflix and you have quite a deal for about the same amount per year as you pay for cable every month.:D

My wife and I dropped cable about two years ago and haven't looked back. Most of the cable content we really want is available for free (legally) over the internet. We watch South Park, The Daily Show, and Archer on the computer or through Play On on the Xbox 360.

If you are a huge sports fan you might not be able to cut the cable cord. Then again, if you mainly watch football and catch the occasional out of market game you can always hoist a few pints at the local sports bar. With what you'll save on cable, you'll probably still come out ahead.:p