Need help copying tivo using Roxio 9

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by finditapt, Jul 21, 2007.

1. finditapt

finditapt New Member

Jul 21, 2007

Advertisements

Help! I have wasted so much time on my own and really need step by step instructions on how to get a show off tivo on my computer then burning it on a DVD using roxio media creator 9. (I get confused easy with computer stuff, so please don't suggest using other programs). I've downloaded tivotogo. I've also figured out how to get on that and find the file on my tivo box and transfer it to my computer. I've also downloaded Roxio media creator 9. I double click on tivo desktop, then click on the show that transfered and select "where is this folder", which takes me to My Tivo Recordings page. I then find that program and drag it to my Drag to disc. It says it's copying, then it says it's done, but it won't let me eject the disc. Says it was busy. I waited 15 minutes, still couldn't get it to eject then just turned my computer off. When I turned it back on I could eject it. However, I cannot play it on my laptop, portable DVD player or regular DVD player. When I put it back in the computer and double click on the disk drive it shows that school of rock is on the disk, however I cannot play it. Help!

2. finditapt

finditapt New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Just wanted to add that I tried the entire process again. This time I was able to eject. However, the DVD would not play on my DVD player, and when I put the disk in my laptop I double clicked on the D: and it showed up with the title and size, but I noticed it said: Attributes: Read only file. I'm not sure what that means. It did say the file was 1.2 G.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  4. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I think "Drag to Disk" makes a data disk - you want to create a DVD-Video disk. This explains why your PC lets you see the file on the disk when you're done. When you properly create a (video) DVD your PC probably should automatically play the DVD (just like a commercial disk)

You want to follow whtever menu option in Roxio that allows you to create a video DVD, and use the.tivo file as the source for the DVD. You should also go through a process to create the main DVD menu.

5. finditapt

finditapt New Member

Jul 21, 2007

Advertisements

Hi Jim. The disk says DVD+R

6. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Burn your movie to a DVD
    To burn a DVD that you can play in a video DVD player, you need to have a DVD burner and video DVD burning software on your computer. Many new computers come with an internal DVD burner. However, if your computer does not already have one installed, you may find it easier to install an external USB DVD burner.

You can choose from a number of programs for burning video DVDs, such as Roxio MyDVD. Keep in mind that every program is different, but the basics are the same. These instructions show you how to create a DVD using Roxio MyDVD 8.

To burn a movie to a DVD

Insert a blank, writeable DVD into your DVD drive.

Click Start, then click All Programs, point to Roxio MyDVD, point to DVD and Video, and then click MyDVD.

In the MyDVD window, under Menu Tasks, click Add New Movie.

In the Select Media File dialog box, choose your video, and then click Open. If you want to add more than one video, return to the previous step and add more movies.

In the MyDVD window, click the File menu, and then click Burn project to disc.

In the Burn Project dialog box, make sure the Burn to disk check box is selected, and then click Burn.

MyDVD burns your movie to a DVD, which will take several minutes. After MyDVD finishes, it automatically plays the movie. Close the movie, and then click OK in the Burn Project dialog box.

You can now eject the DVD and play it in a standard DVD player. Be sure to label it with a permanent marker so that you can identify it later. To burn another copy of the DVD, insert another writeable DVD, and then return to step 6.

Note: While most new DVD players support most types of writeable DVDs, some older DVD players can have problems playing custom DVDs. DVD-R or DVD+R are compatible with most players. DVD-RW and DVD+RW media are only supported by newer DVD players that specifically support rewriteable discs.

Top of page

7. finditapt

finditapt New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've wasted all my DVD's on all my other attempts, so I need to go out and buy more today. Looks like I will buy DVD-R and also DVD+R and try it on both, since my DVD player is about 5 years old. My DVD/CD burner is internal. I bought it and had it installed a couple weeks ago. It's Nero. I also bought Roxio 9 for the program to use since that's what Tivo suggest on their website. I'll let you know what happens.

8. finditapt

finditapt New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Okay. Step #1 and #2 went fine. On step #3, after a new box came up labeled "Add new Title". I scrolled list and selected "my Tivo Recordings", and my show was on there. I clicked on it and selected "add". That box went away and that show is now listed under "project view". Step #5 went fine. #6 seemed to go fine(nothing was checked under Image file section and nothing checked under folder section, are they not supposed to be checked?). Under drive it said D:/TSSTcorpDC/DVDW HS-S182D SB. Not sure what that means... Step #7 says it burns, but may take several minutes, however mine only took a couple seconds and it said: Overall progress 100%, Current task completed 100%, 8007000e Error while encoding movie, an unrecoverable device error occured. Error while aborting. And nothing is on my DVD. Help!

9. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Try this

LOAD A DVD IN YOUR DVD BURNER

Don't use roixio media desktop short cut

1. click start

2. click all programs

3. point at Roxio media creator 9

4. point to VIDEO

5. click on MY DVD

6 WAIT

7. CLICK ADD NEW MOVIE

8.click on MY TIVO RECORDINGS

9.click on whatever tivo recording you want and add it

10. select fit to disc at botton of screen

11. Click burn

12 WAIT THIS TAKES A WHILE THE PROGRAM DISPLAYS TO BARS . OVEREALL PROGREE AND CURRENT TASK. IT WILL FIRST ENCODE THE FILE AND EVENTUALLY BURN IT

THIS IS NOT JUST MINUTES BUT COULD BE OVER AN HOUR. THE DVD WILL BE EJECTED WHEN COMPLETED.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

10. StephenCorbett

StephenCorbett New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I can get my programs to DVD but when I play them on my TV they have a slight flicker or jitter. Nothing that keeps me from watching but I notice it. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of this? I am using Roxio MyDVD burner.