Need help backing up a 3TB to a 4TB, have a Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Comicboy, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Comicboy

Comicboy New Member

Aug 18, 2020

Advertisements

I have a Bolt+ with a 3TB. Pretty sure its dying. The Bolt tried to reboot, ended up with all the lights flashing. Pulled the drive, it seems to be "fine" Grabbed a 4TB as 3TBs are stupid expense and I saw people say they work in them.

Got WINMFS, running it on an XP machine.
    Basically as soon as I get started with WINMFS it says:
    Error number: 7
    Error Message: Wrong tivo partition signature

Any ideas? I haven't put it back in the Bolt or anything, wanted to make sure I didn't do anything unfixable.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    DON'T use WinMFS! It only works on Series 3 and older.

MFS Tools 3.2

3. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Much depends if you are ok with starting fresh or want to keep recordings/settings. Fresh if you are on TE4 you could just pop in the new drive (blank). TE3 and/or want to keep recordings/settings have to use MFST as other poster mentioned. Copy and expand. Also assumes your current drive is ok (not sure what you mean seems to be "fine", you ran tests on it?) But keep in mind when swapping drives around in a Bolt you can lose EVERYTHING, even on a drive you pulled, set aside and did nothing with. Easy would be be starting fresh (though you would have to get the cable card re-repaired), copy expanding can be complicated and risk losing everything if not done correctly, on both drives. In other words it is easy to do something "unfixable" (as in losing everything on current drive) unless you really know what you are doing. Not sure what you mean about 3TB being a stupid expense, if you are looking at the "recommended" model 3TB it is probably expensive as it is a CMR drive and discontinued so hard to find. 4TB and up 2.5" drives are SMR, not really recommended for Bolt (or any other Tivo really).

The Bolt + drive has been known to fail a lot. Sometimes if it is the drive you can call Tivo and they may replace it for minimal or no charge. The whole unit, not just the drive. Backing up and possibly restoring recordings depends much if you are on TE3 or TE4.

4. Comicboy

Comicboy New Member

Aug 18, 2020
    Let me start from rough scratch. My drive started acting weird the other night and refused to play. Rebooting the Bolt+ lead to all 4 lights blinking fast and nothing more. Started looking for a 3TB replacement drive, but found a really cheap 4TB. From reading the forums I could see the 4TB would work. Bought it, installed it, it works fine. But my old 3TB was 80% full so I would rather copy it over if possible and to see what would happen, because starting from scratch is always an option. So I am looking for the correct syntax for backing up, restoring and copying from one to another but the syntax isn't obvious to a newbie.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

If the drive is failing, then your shows may also be lost.

6. Comicboy

Comicboy New Member

Aug 18, 2020
    Totally agree, but I figured why not try.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The moment you installed the 4TB drive in the Tivo Bolt and booted up you lost any chance of recovering the shows on the 3TB drive. The bolt remembers the last drive that was installed and every time you reboot the bolt it compares the current drive with the last drive installed and when the comparison fails it automatically formats the newly installed drive. Even if you could successfully clone the old 3TB drive to a new drive and make it appear as the same drive, the Tivo now remembers the 4TB drive as the last installed drive and would format the cloned drive.

tommage1 likes this.
  8. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    That is true. Only question now is are they on TE3 or TE4? If TE4 it probably formatted the whole 4TB (that is fairly new because of some update, TE4 now fully formats drives over 3TB itself.) If TE3 I'd guess a bit less than 2TB (which is what happens when you let a Roamio and probably a Bolt format a drive larger than 3TB.) 4TB 2.5 has to be SMR also, the "new" TE4 seems to fully format almost any drive (with Edge have seen 5,6,10,14TB, SMR and CMR, Bolt I've seen 4TB). How long will last (the SMR drives), who knows?

shwru980r likes this.
  9. Comicboy

Comicboy New Member

Aug 18, 2020
    Crap, I didn't see anywhere that would stop me... Damn, I would not have done it. I just wanted to use my TV until I could figure out the copying..

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With Bolts, even if you copied the drive to another and it didn't recognize it and erase it, then you try to put the old drive back in, it would erase it also.

shwru980r likes this.
  11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    In the menu Go to Help->Account and System Information->System Information

Scroll down to see how many HD recording hours you have.

If you have 478 HD hours that's 3TB formatted.
    More than 478 is probably the full 4TB.

This drive will probably last another year.

You could replace the 4TB drive with a recommended 3TB or less drive or set up a larger external 3.5" drive that would probably last longer.

12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Don't feel TOO bad. If you were getting 4 flashing lights after multiple tries/reboots odds are very good the drive is bad and would not have been able to copy anyway.