Need help adding external HD to Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by AllanNKnox, Nov 15, 2015.

1. AllanNKnox

AllanNKnox AllanNKnox

Nov 15, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I bought a WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX and an eSATA/USB2 drive enclosure (Vantec NexStar CX NST-300SU-BK). I put it together and installed it on my Tivo Roamio per instructions I found on the Tivo site... and... Nothing!
    It did not install, show any sign of even being connected, not even an error message. The drive seems to be working but not connecting.
    Please Help. What do I do to get it to connect?
    (I have a fairly high aptitude concerning computers but apparently not as much knowledge as I thought.)

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    The issue is that all TiVos from the S3 and newer have a external drive white list that allows the TiVo to use the external drive. If the drive you bought is not on the white list it will not work unless you know how to mod the whitelist.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The only drive that will work is the officially designated WD DVR expander drive, that's the only one on the whitelist, anything you do yourself will not work.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Except for the first of the Series 3 models (where owners figured out how to activate the eSATA port before TiVo was ready for it), TiVos have a very short list of actual bare WD drive model numbers, the assumption being that the WD external drives that have the TiVo logo on the box and the external case will have one of those drives inside.

Those are the only WD drives with which the TiVos (again with the exception of the TCD648250B) will work. If it ain't on the list it won't get acknowledged, although theoretically if you have one of those drives you could put it in any old eSATA enclosure and get it to work.

You could always use that EURX to replace the internal drive in the Roamio.

There doesn't seem to be a qualifying list for internal drives, fortunately.

Then you could see if the old internal would be accepted as the external, although I suspect that the Roamio's internal is a model which is too new to be on that short list.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's the drive used by the WD MyBook AV extender. I pulled it and put it in my basic Roamio. I put the old 500GB drive into a USB 3.0 enclosure I bought on eBay and use it with my computer. All you need is 30 minutes and the right tools. I bought the older eSATA drive from TiVo and used it for a few weeks. Then I got smart.

6. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There's more to it than just the basic model number, while I can't be 100% sure I can lay good odds that a generic WD10EURX will most likely not work as an external drive as proven by the OPs lack of success.

7. AllanNKnox

AllanNKnox AllanNKnox

Nov 15, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the advice and information. But, is there no other alternative that does not involve spending money in greater amounts than I already have, and preserves my settings and recorded programs?

I have things saved that I am waiting until I catch up to the current season to watch. And I am a big sap for Christmas Movies (that have already started). If all else fails, I will just keep the existing drive cleaned off and replace the internal hard drive with the one I bought, in the new year.

It is strange that the internal drive can be replaced by a number of drives, but the external drive must be a specific proprietary external drive? After all, the exterior drive is put into a single RAID configuration with the internal drive??

Another question: Does changing out the internal hard drive void the warranty?

8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Technically it does void the warranty but I don't think anyone has ever been called out by TiVo on it when returning it for other issues.

9. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo has always been of the "don't ask, don't tell" approach to warranty and replaced hard drives, as long as the original HD is in the unit when troubleshooting with them and/or returning the unit and you'll be fine.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    There are two WD10EURX drives on the white list (WD10EURX-73C57Y0 & WD10EURX-73FH1Y0). In both cases they also have to be running version 01.01A01 firmware.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I used the TiVo external drive on my Premiere for a few weeks. One day it wasn't seen. I removed it and kept it in a box. Then I bought the basic Roamio. After six months I removed the drive from the WD enclosure and replaced my Roamio's drive. I would gladly send the OP my old enclosure if he wants it. The mounting will be hard. I have never had a problem with using the WD10EURX inside my basic Roamio. I don't believe in external drives anymore. On my PC, I use USB 3 and it holds data I don't care if I lose.