Need Drive Upgrade Suggestions for Premiere and Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Resist, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1 of 30
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I've been searching for a 2TB drive upgrade for my Tivo Premiere and Tivo HD. Not exactly sure which drives to get but I do know I want Tivo formatted drives, as I don't have the patience right now to set up blank drives myself. I had purchased a WD 1TB Tivo formatted drive from a forum member on ebay around a year ago for my other Series 3 Tivo, but I can't find him on ebay anymore. And yes, I know I could purchase the drives from Weaknees or DVRupgrade, but I'm not willing to pay $300 per 2TB drive. Any suggestions?

2. Oct 3, 2011 #2 of 30
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I hear DVRDude comes recommended but I haven't personally used their drives.

3. Oct 3, 2011 #3 of 30
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I will have to check out DVRDude. Is he a forum member or just on ebay?

4. Oct 3, 2011 #4 of 30
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I ran across a seller called The-DVR-Pro on eBay who is selling 1 and 2 TB drives for the S3HD and Premiere. 1TB for $90 and 2TB for $114 with free shipping.

5. Oct 3, 2011 #5 of 30
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What brand and model are they? But at that price they can't be the good ones.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #6 of 30
    lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    They are the WD10EARS and WD20EARS, like many in this forum use. They have the noise level tuned and the image pre-loaded. I don't have any qualms about doing my own drive upgrades, but at that price I'm seriously thinking about buying one after my Premiere gets past the 90 day mark.

7. Oct 4, 2011 #7 of 30
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What about the WD20EURS drive? DVRDude and others sell this and they want a lot more money for it, I'm wondering why? DVRDude's not giving me any information as to why. He basically said that I should go buy from someone else if I didn't like his prices, that kind of strikes me the wrong way.

8. Oct 6, 2011 #8 of 30
    lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    According to an online search, the EURS is listed as an AV drive and costs a little more. I've seen some claim that it has "better mechanicals" for 24/7 operation. No personal experience here so I would put some extra weight on what real users in the Tivo Community have to say. The eBay seller I mentioned does say to contact him if you would like a different drive than his standard issue. Can't hurt to ask.

9. Oct 6, 2011 #9 of 30
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Do you have a link? I can't seem to find him on ebay.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I find this a little funny. You are asking a million questions about the drive, but don't have enough patience to do it yourself?

It is truly a very simple process. And, in a way, depending upon your circumstance, it could be much easier to do it yourself. Doing it yourself retains your recordings, thumbs, channels, ect. and avoids the need to re-pair your cablecard.

11. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Not so much I guess that I don't have the patience, it's just that I've never done it before. But considering I can get the WD20EURS from Amazon for $95, I may just do it myself. I understand the benefits, but am not sure I have all the correct hardware to do it with my PC. And when you read DVRDude's ebay listings, he makes it sound as though his upgrade formatting process is the most stable.

12. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    On eBay, click on "Community" and search for user "the-dvr-pro". Once you get to his info, click on "Seller's Items".

13. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you decide to do it yourself, what you need depends on whether you are upgrading the S3HD or the Premiere, but you probably already knew that. I have used WINMFS to image drives for S1, S2DT, and S3HD. I use an inexpensive USB to universal drive cable (could be just a SATA to USB cable) so that I don't have to open any computer boxes. I can point you to a virgin image for the S3HD. I have not done a Premiere yet but it requires JMFS and must be done as a copy of one drive to the other. If/when I try that, I will use my universal cable and another SATA to USB cable. I've been told in this community that that should work.

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    My plan is to upgrade the drives in a Tivo HD and Premiere. But I don't know anything about JMFS or WINMFS, so I would have to learn them.

15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Nothing to learn on either. They are very strait forward and pretty much fool proof. No directions really needed...

16. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you have a spare SATA drive of at least 160 GB, then you can practice using WINMFS on that. Like I said previously, I can point you to my WINMFS image for the S3HD and the WINMFS download is free at MFSLIVe.org. In my experience, the hardest part is getting WINMFS to recognize the drive intially, because Windows wants to mount it. There is a "Delete Format" command in WINMFS that will take care of that but I've always had to restart my computer after that and re-run WINMFS. You will want to run right click on winmfs.exe and run it as Administrator if you are using Vista or Win7. Again, I highly recommend using a SATA to USB adaptor cable. PM me if you further questions.

17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm still using Windows 98 on my PC. Don't use it much since getting a MacBook Pro.

18. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That PC running 98 may not run WinMFS, but as long as it can boot from a cd it should be able to run MFS Live, and apparently JMFS is available as a bootable cd as well, so it should probably work also.

Of course if that PC is very old, it may not recognize drives bigger than 137GB.

If it does, it may or may not have SATA ports.

If it has SATA ports, they may not work with drives as large as 1TB.

You may be able to get around that last part by using a Marvell or JMicron chipset based SATA to IDE adapter that will let you connect a SATA drive to your PC's IDE controller.

As strange as it seems, some motherboards whose SATA ports can't deal with 1TB drives have IDE controllers that can handle what the adapter makes them think are 1TB IDE drives.

Of course you'll need to get a copy of an S3 platform image made with MFS Live instead of WinMFS as the two can't use each other's backup images, even though both programs are written by spike.

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I made a mistake, my PC actually has Windows XP on it. Not sure why I said Windows 98, that's how long it's been since I used my PC after getting a Mac.

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, if you've got XP (make sure you've gone online and gotten all of the updates from Billy boy), then you can run WinMFS.

(the MFS Live cd v1.4 is still handy to have around)

Depending on the age of the computer itself, you may still have over 137GB problems or SATA drive too large for the SATA controller problems, you'll just have to experiment and see.