Need AV hard drive for dual-tuner Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by lillevig, Sep 3, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I couldn't find an exact answer to this question. I have a dual-tuner Series2 and swapped out the 80GB IDE drive for a 250GB SATA drive with an adapter. Everything looked to be working fine but then I started noticing that an occasional recording was truncated or split into two recordings. From what I've read here, it seems that the Tivo is resetting in the middle of the recording (about 5 minutes is missing so that seems plausible). I know that the drive is good and the adpater, while not a "recommended" one does work without any other known glitches. In the interest of eliminating a variable, I will probably just buy an older IDE drive but will I have issues if I try to record two shows at the same time if I don't get a drive that specifically allows that capability (an AV drive)?

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No, whether an AV drive, or not, it would not make any difference in that regard.

Have had 5 Tivos over the years, and upgraded the drives in all. Never used an AV drive(besides the original Tivo drives). No issues. 3 had/have dual tuners.

Personally, I would just get a "proven" adapter though.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Yeah, I just ordered a JMicron adapter based on posts in the Upgrade Forum. For $5.99 and free shipping it will be worth it to see if one of my spare 250GB SATA drives will still work. I was just curious as to whether or not the drive had to be capable of multiple streaming to consistently record from two tuners at the same time. The AV drives make a point of this capability.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I have 4 S2DTs with 500GB non-AV drives (2 Seagate, 2 Caviar Blue). They all work perfectly even with a TTG or MRV transfer thrown on top of everything else.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I have the Series 2 DT with a 1TB in it and don't have that problem.

If you're missing 5 minutes then it sounds like your Tivo is resetting. That would explain the split with 5 minutes missing. Check your uptime next time it happens and see if it jives...

Now my DT is strange because if it reboots it does it 3 times within a couple of hours then it will stay up for months. Not sure what that's about but I'm at the end of my relationship with this one so I guess that problem will belong to the ages...